Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 aquired a ferret, some questions. .
KieraKittie

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
aquired a ferret, some questions. . - Tuesday, October 21, 2014 4:47 AM
Now that I have scared people into wondering how you just "aquire" a ferret.  I've raised and owned them in the past. My last ferret passing away little over 7 years old about 9 years ago. I have a lot of refresher reading to do.  Today I was given a ferret from a guy I don't know to well. He was on something, and positive the cops were going to get him because of the ferret. He recived the ferret from his brother, who got it for his kids and they left it in a cage in a room. Anyway, this poor gal seems to have had an interesting but sad life. Currently, im in California, ferrets are not legal here without a permit. Luck hasit, im visiting and going home to Missouri in a few weeks, ferrets are legal there. I'm unsure if I will try and rehome her after I clean her up and get her moving or let her retire under my wing, so to speak. 

On to the questions!  Pot and ferrets, by pot, I mean weed, marijuana. The cage is plastic, good size, no bedding, but the cage itself wreaks of weed. Can ferrets get addicted like people, and go through withdraws from being away from it?  Just curious, his house has to be loaded to soak the smell into plastic this bad, I can only imagine this gal trying to breath. 

Question two, well, I guess this one is best asked with a picture, but I'm at work at the moment. She seems to have a sore under her chin. Its not a hotspot, or yest/staff infection. I only picked her up tonight so it was hard to see, it almost looks like a tumor or skin cancer. I will take a pic in the am when I'm off work. 

Three, Fleas! Though I don't see much on her, he swore she was infested (I think he's hallucinating). I know dawn dish soap would get them off my old ferrets, but for my dog I've been using rosemary oil and apple cider venager. Are these safe for ferrets as well in flea prevention? I don't have a computer since I've been living on the road all summer so I'm typing this with my phone, sorry for half written sentences or odd autocorrects.

Ah, he said he's been calling her animal. .I named her Little Bay, she's very tiny and I got her in the Bay area of San Fran. 
Fiona princess

• Total Posts : 6
Re:aquired a ferret, some questions. . - Thursday, October 23, 2014 10:20 PM
So sad that she was subjected to all of that.  I have no idea what ferrets can be "addicted" to but I bet her lungs are hurting.  They have such sensitive lungs i would think being so small.  I wish her the best.  Sorry i can't be of help.  Take her to the vet!
unclejoe
Re:aquired a ferret, some questions. . - Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:00 PM
Member in blocked list
whiskandbowl

• Total Posts : 179
Re:aquired a ferret, some questions. . - Friday, October 24, 2014 9:53 AM
Poor baby, thank you for taking her in.
AFAIK, ferrets are illegal in CA, period, I don't think they issue any kind of permit. I know there are many who keep them in CA, but obviously don't mention that they own ferrets.

From what I've read, pot is not physically addictive the way cigarettes or other drugs can be. (It can be habit forming and therefore mentally addicting). I wouldn't worry about any kind of withdrawl symptoms, but more concerns for her lungs and how the smoke affected her.

For fleas, I would give her a bath (I've used Dawn and regular shampoo with no difference between the 2), let her dry, and then apply flea meds like Advantage Multi or Revolution.

Ferrets: Wesley, Percy, Owen    -rip Bandit-
Bettas- Kitty, Pip, and Logan
Sun Conure- Kita
Gerbils- Piper and Tailer

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages