Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Too scared of clipping claws...
Skiff85

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Too scared of clipping claws... - Monday, October 20, 2014 6:20 AM
So I have read everywhere that ferret nails claws need regular clipping, I have had my ferrets for around 2 months now, got them when they were 8 weeks old so they are still quite tiny. The problem is I am terrified of clipping their nails, I am scared of clipping the quick and hurting them. I put the ferretone on their belly's, and I start clipping but I get most of a paw done before they start wriggling or I get unsure of where the quick is in the nail. Has anyone got any tips?
wenmister
Re:Too scared of clipping claws... - Monday, October 20, 2014 8:02 AM
Member in blocked list
Meechysmum92

• Total Posts : 107
Re:Too scared of clipping claws... - Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:11 PM
I'm not sure if its because Meechy has white feet....but I can actually see the quick through his nails. Maybe if you have someone to help you (i always make my bf help) they can hold a flashlight, or light from thier cell underneath of his footsies and perhaps you will be able to see where the quick is? :) i know there is some powder stuff yoi can get to keep on hand if you do nick the quick, it helps stop the bleeding.
unclejoe
Re:Too scared of clipping claws... - Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:31 PM
Member in blocked list
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:Too scared of clipping claws... - Saturday, November 08, 2014 2:14 AM
I have cut my ferrets nails too short, not into the quick but enough to make him make  a dook-style noise of displeasure. I did not hurt him but I think the pressure of being close to the quick irritated him.

He is a sable, and even with the dark fur it's quite easy to see the quick in his nails (I just made a mistake).

They also sell nail clippers for dogs that have a quick guard. Does anyone know if they make them for smaller pets that they could link for Skiff? I also use human nail clippers but I have a set of the scissor style as well. 

I think it really comes down to practice. The ferrets that I have not clipped too short still pull their hands away from me and don't want me to clip their nails, I think it's just a reaction. 

I usually have my husband scruff them so I can clip them all quickly, or I wait until one is asleep and clip them. 

What colors are your babies? Perhaps we could post some pictures and photo edit where the quick is of similar colored ferrets so you can get a better idea if the wiki-how hasn't helped you :)

On the same note, I'm sure you're all aware of the rotary style clippers that you can buy for dogs that grind the nail down smoothly... does anyone know if they make a small animal version? The only thing I hate more than my ferrets nails being too sharp is how they feel for the first day after clipping them, it's like tiny razor blades all over me >.<
<message edited by Seelen on Saturday, November 08, 2014 2:15 AM>
Melie

• Total Posts : 44
Re:Too scared of clipping claws... - Monday, November 17, 2014 1:08 AM
My ferret does not like getting his nails clipped! I used to struggle, needing to get someone else to scruff him, tried ferretone on my hand. Once I watched a youtube video of peanutbutter on their belly I had to try it. Although I used ferretone instead of PB, it worked awesome. I was able to get through 3/4 paws before I needed more. He sat so still for me.
I am nervous about the quick as well.. but I think if you follow the diagram and stay slightly away from it you should be fine. So far I have had no issues, he was always quick to jump if I did get too close though.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread