Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Seriously Biting
Zoetic

• Total Posts : 42
  • Reward points : 0
Seriously Biting - Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:07 PM
The new kit, Feliks, is about to be turned into a glove liner - I've about had it.

He doesn't bite aggressively with Mishka and Laska, but he'll annoy them like mad. Myself and my husband, however, he's BITING. Like really biting. Feet, toes, fingers, heels, legs... Anything he can get his teeth into. Achilles tendon seems to be a favourite due to the way I jump from it. And it's not just biting, but he'll also back his little butt up and launch at my leg and try to climb it to bite. Flying leaps of tiny teeth of death. What the hell am I supposed to do with this? Is this a phase? I've tried scruffing, hissing at him, time outs, deflecting with a toy, positive and negative reenforcement... 

I don't want to give him up, because I hate giving up on anything, but my gosh. I'm losing my mind with this.
Dookeril

• Total Posts : 21
Re:Seriously Biting - Thursday, September 25, 2014 6:23 PM
From my past experience, gloves actually made it worse. 

My girl, Lexy, was a bad biter herself; she used to rip chunks out of my hands and I still have scars today.

I used the time-out method for her and it did the trick. However, it took at least 9 months. How long have you used that method?

I recommend using a separate carrier specifically for time-outs. Remember to put nothing in it. They should not be in there for more than 2 minutes, as they forget why. 

It is very frustrating, I understand. No one wants to be around a biting animal. Once he bites, give him a time out and whenever he doesn't bite, even for a split second, reward him for good behaviour. 

You can try distracting as well. If you know when he bites, distract him to do something else before he does and reward him.

The key in all training is to be consistent! 
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:Seriously Biting - Monday, September 29, 2014 11:59 PM
Scruffing worked for us. One of our first pair was a return because of his biting, but we loved him and worked on him a lot. The scruffing worked but it took a seriously long time. Now though, they turned a year old this month and he is the loviest ferret ever. He sleeps curled around our necks when we watch tv, I can put him in my hoodie pocket and he just sleeps and licks us and cuddles all the time. I think just keep trying and like Dookeril said, be consistent. I personally wouldn't hiss at him because it is a negative reinforcement of you when everything else you seem to be doing is aimed towards positive. But the hissing I wonder could be misconstrued as you being something to fear?

I'm also having trouble with my new one with some nipping and scratching, Feeling your pain. Just keep up with it!
unclejoe
Re:Seriously Biting - Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:40 AM
Member in blocked list
ajgrymm

• Total Posts : 11
Re:Seriously Biting - Tuesday, September 30, 2014 9:57 PM
when i got my 2nd ferret as a kit, i thought there would be no end! some of them grow out of that behavior, my ferret as a kit took hissing and scruffing seriously, but my 3rd didn't. the gloves just gave them something to aim for and play with...haha

goodluck!

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message