Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Perhaps I am a wee bit too prepared?
irbyma7297

• Total Posts : 26
  • Reward points : 0
Perhaps I am a wee bit too prepared? - Friday, September 12, 2014 4:01 PM
Hello, Irbyma here! I was on a long time ago, asking questions. It has been over a year, and i know, without a doubt, that a ferret is a dream come true for me. No more I'm not sure if i know enough, i KNOW i know enough. I have absorbed any and all information about ferrets, I've read ferret for dummies, watched every video i could find, etc. However, my mother remains sceptical. I must take complete care of myself (including all laundry, room cleaning, living room cleaning, dish cleaning, etc.) An  must also get a's in my highschool classes, and b's in the college ones. The only thing keeping me from my dream is a year. I want to continue to learn in this time, and i had an idea:
I need actual experience with ferrets. So, perhaps i could find someone in my area willing to work with me, allow me to meet their ferrets, etc. I wont be able to see you guys at your houses, so mine would need to be visited (i am only 15). I also extend this invitation:

If any of you need a ferret sitter, someone to care for them if you need them gone until you can do so, etc, come to me. I'd do it for free, and i am more than willing to meet you in advance. Please contact me, i am desperate for a chance to even hold a carpet shark.
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:Perhaps I am a wee bit too prepared? - Friday, September 12, 2014 4:47 PM
irbyma7297

Hello, Irbyma here! I was on a long time ago, asking questions. It has been over a year, and i know, without a doubt, that a ferret is a dream come true for me. No more I'm not sure if i know enough, i KNOW i know enough. I have absorbed any and all information about ferrets, I've read ferret for dummies, watched every video i could find, etc. However, my mother remains sceptical. I must take complete care of myself (including all laundry, room cleaning, living room cleaning, dish cleaning, etc.) An  must also get a's in my highschool classes, and b's in the college ones. The only thing keeping me from my dream is a year. I want to continue to learn in this time, and i had an idea:
I need actual experience with ferrets. So, perhaps i could find someone in my area willing to work with me, allow me to meet their ferrets, etc. I wont be able to see you guys at your houses, so mine would need to be visited (i am only 15). I also extend this invitation:

If any of you need a ferret sitter, someone to care for them if you need them gone until you can do so, etc, come to me. I'd do it for free, and i am more than willing to meet you in advance. Please contact me, i am desperate for a chance to even hold a carpet shark.

You should let people know where you live (like the city or general area) so that people can think about it! Also please, given your age, becareful and don't go visit anyone without your mom or dad there first. I doubt anyone here would be a problem but still, safety first!

Being prepared is super important. I did months of research and I felt like I was ready, then new things come up all the time! Ferrets are adventurous little buggers :)
irbyma7297

Re:Perhaps I am a wee bit too prepared? - Friday, September 12, 2014 5:20 PM
Oh, yeah! My address would be helpful. Of course, no details. I live in the colorado springs area. It is between denver and pueblo
wacferret

• Total Posts : 92
Re:Perhaps I am a wee bit too prepared? - Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:58 PM
Your research and dedication are awesome especially for someone your age! ROCK ON! You have probably done more preliminary research than 90% of the ferret owners out there. I worked in pet shops most pet purchases are impulse with little to no research beforehand, (OH he is soo cute lets take him home! or, Mommy he likes me can we keep him). Or the person knows they want a pet but have no idea how to care for it. Your ideas are good but as was said be cautious of meeting anyone without an adult present (too many freaks out there) Have you considered volunteering at a local shelter? Or even local pet shop? Many bushiness' would love the idea of free help (Intern) and you get experience out of it (and not just experience with ferrets but other animals as well) Good luck Ferrets NEED more owners like you.
irbyma7297

Re:Perhaps I am a wee bit too prepared? - Friday, September 19, 2014 10:47 PM
wacferret

Your research and dedication are awesome especially for someone your age! ROCK ON! You have probably done more preliminary research than 90% of the ferret owners out there. I worked in pet shops most pet purchases are impulse with little to no research beforehand, (OH he is soo cute lets take him home! or, Mommy he likes me can we keep him). Or the person knows they want a pet but have no idea how to care for it. Your ideas are good but as was said be cautious of meeting anyone without an adult present (too many freaks out there) Have you considered volunteering at a local shelter? Or even local pet shop? Many bushiness' would love the idea of free help (Intern) and you get experience out of it (and not just experience with ferrets but other animals as well) Good luck Ferrets NEED more owners like you.

Thank you! I try to be prepared, the closest i've had to an impulse buy for any pet was slug i found today XD. I have had a problem with regretting getting pets in the past, such as a bird (he bit) and a mouse (also bit). I think this is largely because those pets were compromises, i want a ferret, but take what i can get. Because of this, i tend to be less enthusiastic about them. i do not give them away, i keep them until the end. I find it dumb to get rid of a pet just because it is misbehaving unless someone is in danger. if i were to take my mouse to the humane society, she would be euthanized. my mother told me i could get another mouse if i surrender her, but id rather she have a long, fulfilling life than die early so i can get a better pet. I haven't wanted anything more than i want a ferret. I have been planning a diy cage made from a book case, my room is in the process of being ferret proofed, and i have begun creating hommocks and toys for it. i look forward to getting it from a shelter. i even thought of a name: Rikki. cudos to anyone who can guess where i got it from!
unclejoe
Re:Perhaps I am a wee bit too prepared? - Saturday, October 18, 2014 8:55 AM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages