Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 New Addition Behavior Problems and Previous Ferret Behavior
Kelsey

• Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
New Addition Behavior Problems and Previous Ferret Behavior - Friday, September 19, 2014 8:26 PM
I recently moved to Virginia and brought my now 3 1/2 yr old ferret Roxi with me. Petco had a ferret sale and I had always wanted to get Roxi a friend so I took her there and let her pick her friend. She seemed to be the most comfortable with a cinammon female so we came home with her. I kept them separated and let them have supervised play time for 15 minutes every day and made sure to give each special attention separately. I mainly wanted Roxi to feel secure that I didn't abandon her. Well a few days later Roxi went back to Pennsylvania to get her other Suprelorin implant for her adrenal. She came back and was kind of mopey and not herself. I figured it was due to the implant. She stopped eating and I took her to a vet down here only to find out she had ECE (I'm assuming from the Petco ferrets since that was the only other ferrets she's been in contact with). We have now gotten over that for the most part, still needs some more weight on but other than that she is back to herself.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    I've started doing some slow introductions again and the new female Rylie wants to play dooks and follows Roxi around but all Roxi does is make this chirp and bite her. They have played together but now it seems like Roxi wants nothing to do with her. Is this normal?   Another thing I have noticed about the new girl is she will bite hard but not nip me like Roxi did when I got her and she was the same age ( 7-8months). I've corrected her and she seems to get it most of the time but still is super hard with her bites. She also wants nothing to do with any treats or Ferretvite which Roxi goes crazy over.  Is it just a differance in personalities and Rylie will learn to like treats? She just seems so much more ADD than Roxi was at her age. 
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
  • Reward points : 0
Re:New Addition Behavior Problems and Previous Ferret Behavior - Saturday, September 20, 2014 7:22 PM
If Roxi was just recently sick, perhaps she just needs more time to recover? Surgery and another condition at once would make most people grouchy. I'd say give both of them enough idividual time and let it happen again naturally. Roxi might just need some more recovery time. 

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread