Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 People who won't adopt to me?
kesjames

• Total Posts : 83
  • Reward points : 0
People who won't adopt to me? - Thursday, September 18, 2014 1:24 PM
Many of the listings I have seen for ferrets specify that they would prefer "an older couple or at least 40-something..." or something like that. I understand them not wanting to give their ferret to some hapless teenager or someone who will have a baby in a couple years and dump their pets, but that's not me! Can't they at least give me a chance? Not everyone "older" will be a responsible and knowledgeable pet owner. And I get the financial stability thing. But I have no problems there either. 

I completely understand, but it still leaves me in the cold. 

btw Craigslist is scary for living things! The only other time I've really used CL was to buy my FN. But someone posted on there that somebody took her 3 ferrets for free and then she saw some of them listed for $120 a couple of days later! She pawned her computer thinking they were giving her two of her ferrets but they only gave her one of hers and another random sick one. I contacted her offering to take one or both and she told me the sick one had died and she decided to keep the other one :( some people are terrible. She said she even met the people and saw their house beforehand and thought they seemed nice and responsible.
unclejoe
Re:People who won't adopt to me? - Thursday, September 18, 2014 3:07 PM
Member in blocked list
kesjames

Re:People who won't adopt to me? - Thursday, September 18, 2014 8:25 PM
Yes, I've told everyone I've contacted that I've had ferrets for about a year and a half. The last one I sent I, uh, forgot to include my age (just talked about my experience & care routines and asked some questions). So maybe that person won't mind when I tell them I'm 21 and a student. I didn't think of telling them I'm on the ferret.com forum! I should though. I just want a new fuzzy or two in my life. Oh well. All good things to those who wait :) The right person will come along.
whiskandbowl

• Total Posts : 179
Re:People who won't adopt to me? - Thursday, September 18, 2014 8:55 PM
How frustrating. I've never had anyone ask how old I was...actually most people didn't really seem to care, as long as I had money.

In your email, I'd offer vet references and UncleJoe's idea of telling them you're a senior member here as well.

Ferrets: Wesley, Percy, Owen    -rip Bandit-
Bettas- Kitty, Pip, and Logan
Sun Conure- Kita
Gerbils- Piper and Tailer
kesjames

Re:People who won't adopt to me? - Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:04 PM
I'm also getting too emotionally invested in a couple of them :( it's stressful actually.
kesjames

Re:People who won't adopt to me? - Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:05 PM
I also came up with the idea of offering to send pics/ updates every once in a while...is that a bad idea?
kesjames

Re:People who won't adopt to me? - Friday, September 19, 2014 9:06 AM
Shot down again :( this is getting really emotionally draining
irbyma7297

• Total Posts : 26
Re:People who won't adopt to me? - Saturday, September 20, 2014 6:37 AM
They most likely prefer an older couple because they tend to have more free time. You're young, so you could get/Have a job, and you mentioned you are a student, i am one myself, college and highschool at the same time. Students tend to have a hectic schedule as well. You may also be staying in an apartment, so your coding may be against a ferret. I recommend you talk about your ferret, your senior membership here, and how much time you have for them and your household.

Good luck with your hunt!
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:People who won't adopt to me? - Saturday, September 20, 2014 7:19 PM
If they're in the area perhaps offering to let them visit and see your home and your other ferrets would help them see how well adjusted they are and that you're a good parent.
xxLAYUPxx

• Total Posts : 38
Re:People who won't adopt to me? - Sunday, September 21, 2014 12:16 PM
A few years ago, when I still only had Aurora, I was looking on kijiji.ca (same thing as craigslist) at ferrets who were in need of new homes. I must have sent 30 messages (some to repeated ads, because those were the babies I wanted to love). It was weeks and weeks that I'd been sifting through ads, sending off messages, bawling at their sweet little faces in the pictures, and NO ONE would return my messages. I didn't get one reply, until I messaged a man about his two boys (who turned out to be girls, but I brought Pixie and Nova home anyway).

I also had offered to send pictures and updates upon request.

Don't give up. I know how frustrating it can be. But like you said, the right one will come along.
I love my little skunkers!
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Ghandi

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread