Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Adrenal treatment advice
Allinia

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
Adrenal treatment advice - Thursday, September 18, 2014 10:32 PM
My oldest ferret (approaching 4 and a half) was recently diagnosed with adrenal disease.  I'm a bit of a dilemma as to the best way to proceed with treatment, since I am located in Japan and options are limited here. 

My vet has said that basically all adrenal ferrets in Japan are treated with monthly lupron injections and that surgery is rarely performed, but he would be comfortable doing the surgery if I wanted to.  I was under the impression that the norm was the opposite, with surgery being the most common option and medical treatment used only in cases where surgery would be too risky.  My girlie is otherwise healthy and I have been anticipating the surgery for years now (she's always had a tail on the thinner side and before we moved overseas my vet back in the United States said that she's a likely candidate for adrenal in the future) but now I am feeling confused and don't want to demand something as drastic as surgery when it is against my vet's judgement.  

Could anyone point me in the direction of advice about adrenal surgery vs. medical treatment?  
bandit99
Re:Adrenal treatment advice - Thursday, September 18, 2014 10:44 PM
Member in blocked list
kesjames

• Total Posts : 83
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Adrenal treatment advice - Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:08 PM
Mine has an implant - I'm assuming that's not an option for you since you didn't mention it, but if it is, I recommend it. That way you don't have to take them in monthly and it's a more constant dose.
unclejoe
Re:Adrenal treatment advice - Friday, September 19, 2014 8:35 AM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages