Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 How to control Odor
Ashleyx

• Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
How to control Odor - Sunday, September 07, 2014 2:11 PM
Hiya there c: 
Lately I've been having a lot of trouble controlling my ferret's odor. Even washing the cage with hot water and soap once a week doesn't help. I've realized that the cages in humane societies/pet stores and even my friend's ferrets cage doesn't smell nearly as bad as mine does. Obviously, they still smell like ferret but nothing compared to my ferret and their cage. Any ideas on cleaning supplies/why mine smells so bad no matter how often I clean it?
unclejoe
Re:How to control Odor - Sunday, September 07, 2014 7:23 PM
Member in blocked list
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 155
Re:How to control Odor - Tuesday, September 09, 2014 7:23 AM

Even washing the cage with hot water and soap once a week doesn't help.

I recently moved to Florida where the weather is warmer and more humid than Chicago.  I was having trouble keeping the smells down as well.

My current plan is to wipe down the cage every morning and night when the kids are having their play time.  I scoop the litter, and then moisten a paper towel with cleaning solution and wipe down the pans and trays.  That has seemed to help.

Also, as soon as I start to detect an odor in the hammocks/sleep sacks, etc, I immediately change them out so that the smell doesn't rub off on the ferrets as they sleep in them.

Something you might want to look for is old poop/urine stains on the cage bars/wires and see if there is something there.  Old, moistened food can also start emitting an odor after awhile.
kesjames

• Total Posts : 83
Re:How to control Odor - Sunday, September 14, 2014 12:32 PM
can confirm that moistened food is the worst smell ever

ever

can you determine where the smell is coming from? I.e. do the ferrets smell really bad, or just their litterbox? One of my ferrets had really dry skin because of adrenal disease and she smelled much worse. As for litter, the only litter I've found that works for me is the petco brand newspaper pellets. With other paper and even good national brands the smell was so bad that I couldn't stand it, even when I started scooping twice a day (I only have two tiny sprites). You might consider switching to a similar densely-packed pellet. It also has baking soda mixed into the pellets, and it's recycled and junk and processed with heat instead of chemicals. Generally I only scoop once a day but sometimes twice if it needs it, and scrub once a week. 

Btw I also live in southwest florida. good times. Yesterday I hosed a bunch of ferret stuff down outside and left it to dry and there was a five-minute torrent of rain just when I was about to take it in.
Icester

• Total Posts : 9
Re:How to control Odor - Thursday, September 18, 2014 9:05 AM
For cleaning I was told to get a spray bottle, full it half of water and half of vinegar. I've used this method with my last ferrets and never had an issue but, Im in uk so our weather isn't as bad. The only smell I really have is her, Rascal but she loves water for some strange reason so she gets a bath (shes only had one so far and she played it in for 30 mins)
<message edited by Icester on Thursday, September 18, 2014 9:06 AM>
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 155
Re:How to control Odor - Friday, September 19, 2014 7:28 AM
How old is your ferret?  I personally feel that adrenal ferrets have an "odor" about them.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread