Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Advice, Help.
DavidL

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
Advice, Help. - Wednesday, September 17, 2014 5:11 AM
hello my name is david, ive recently adopted a cute runt of a ferret named taco :) ive always wanted a ferret and my best friend has had one before, he has helped me get the understanding for one.

recently after about 5 months? i think, i was playing with taco while my girlfriend was helping clean his cage and after i put him back in i noticed a small rash/bumps on my wrist where he was rubbing against. it was itchy but i didnt scratch it at all it went away before the morning but i was curious if this means im allergic to him? or maybe he is just dirty? the previous owner told me to atleast wash him every two weeks or so which i do. 

another thing is he was apparently litter trained but each time he goes to the bathroom its either on his plastic tier levels or the bridges connecting them, i tried putting the litter on the second level where he poops the most and it worked but he decided to poop on the side where his litter isnt. i let him run around alot and get out of the cage so i dont see why he would do this? i looked up stories similar where some owners say the ferret wants to get out so he does something that forces me to open the cage as in cleaning it letting him run around more? i dont know what to do, i hope im not allergic any help or advice is welcomed!!
kesjames

• Total Posts : 83
Re:Advice, Help. - Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:10 PM
Hm, could the rash/bumps have been eczema or something? When I get, that, it's always on my wrist or fingers. I think a ferret allergy would probably give you symptoms like a cat or dog allergy (congestion, sore throat, etc.). Could also be something on him I suppose - flea treatments maybe? Deodorizing sprays? Is his skin dry at all?

As for the pooping thing, do you have a litter box in there, or just litter spread around? A litterbox is like a definite target, y'know? Easier for them to latch onto as a designated pooping spot. Also, scooping more often may help, and putting bedding (like old t-shirts and stuff) around on the floor where you don't want him to poop. If you're worried cleaning the poop immediately will reinforce the behavior, just wait a few minutes and he'll probably have forgotten :P Or, if you catch him, "scruff him" immediately, and put him back in the cage for a little while. Wish I could help more but litter training is an elusive mystery and you'll have to see what works best for you and your individual ferret. One of mine recently starting pooping on a shelf right above her litterbox and I've tried several tactics without success yet - but trying to think of new ideas is a kind of fun (albeit frustrating) part of ferret ownership (that's how I realized a standard sized pillow case fits perfectly over the shelves in my cage!).
DavidL

• Total Posts : 2
Re:Advice, Help. - Wednesday, September 17, 2014 3:46 PM
he has a litter box yes, i had it on the bottom which is where the previous owner had it, he would poop in in sometimes but then went to the second level and started up there. well his owner gave us some spray for him when he is extra smelly cause i guess hes not de-scented or whatever it smells like baby powder lol i dont know if thats causing it or what but i just noticed it last few times i play with him, its not eczema i know what that is lol. im allergic to everything except dogs but ive never had a reaction to anything severe unlss im actually sick. its just a small red rash/bumps nothing like major to where i think i ned a doctor since it went away within hours. but its only when i handle it and on the spot he is most against which is usually my right arm and hand since im right handed. 

yeah the litter being moved to the second level worked for awhile but then he went back to pooping in the corner, and i do have bedding on the bottom which is made up of our clothes that we dont wear anymore. ill probably have to ask a vet then or something about my reaction to him. i really love him but i dont want to have to give him up just yet so im hoping to find a solution or if its just cause he gets dirty easily or something i keep his cage fairly clean so i dont see how that could be a problem. 
wenmister
Re:Advice, Help. - Wednesday, September 17, 2014 3:48 PM
Member in blocked list
kesjames

• Total Posts : 83
Re:Advice, Help. - Wednesday, September 17, 2014 6:35 PM
He's pooping in the corner on the floor that has the litterbox? weird. If he's going on both floors you could get a second litterbox. Maybe he doesn't like the one you have currently. You could try getting a bigger one. Is he young?
unclejoe
Re:Advice, Help. - Wednesday, September 17, 2014 8:49 PM
Member in blocked list
Luey

• Total Posts : 28
Re:Advice, Help. - Wednesday, September 17, 2014 9:00 PM
My boys just started using the other levels as toilets. I took them out and cleaned them and left them out till they went on the bottom where they normally go. I put olds ripped up shirts on the shelf to see if they'll use it as a bed instead.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread