Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 "Speed bumping" or something more sinister?
kesjames

• Total Posts : 83
  • Reward points : 0
"Speed bumping" or something more sinister? - Tuesday, September 16, 2014 1:12 PM
I was reading today that one of the early signs of insulinoma is for ferrets to suddenly stop what they're doing and kinda of "zone out." Mine do this all the time! Always have. Sometimes it's accompanied by dropping to the ground and sighing (true speed bumping :)), many times not. Is this a potential symptoms of insulinoma?? I've always assumed they had just "zoned out" or perhaps gotten bored (I usually do something else with them or give them a different toy when I see them doing it). 
unclejoe
Re:"Speed bumping" or something more sinister? - Tuesday, September 16, 2014 4:51 PM
Member in blocked list
rainbow_sitara

• Total Posts : 60
Re:"Speed bumping" or something more sinister? - Tuesday, September 16, 2014 6:59 PM
unclejoe

Things that might point to insulinoma (from personal observation) include:
Gazing into space while standing
Rocking back and forth while standing--These are both signs of a seizure.   A ferret who is having a seizure won't come out of it by you calling his name or hitting the squeakie toy.
Rapid weight loss
Loss of appetite

This make me nervous for 4 of my 5 fuzzies.  They don't rock back and forth while standing, but they do zone out like they are listening, but they won't come when I call their name.  They will look at me, but they won't come to me.  I just thought they were being stubborn, but now I am very worried.

Hello.  My name is Tammie and I am addicted to fuzzbutts.

unclejoe
Re:"Speed bumping" or something more sinister? - Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:00 PM
Member in blocked list
rainbow_sitara

• Total Posts : 60
Re:"Speed bumping" or something more sinister? - Wednesday, September 17, 2014 10:27 AM
The four that worry me are all just over 2 years old.  I am such a worrier, and all of this is so new to me.  All of them are VERY interested in eating.  They all eat their dry kibble, but their favorite is when I give them their kibble that has been softened by water and mixed with dry kibble and cod liver oil.

Thank you so much :)
Hello.  My name is Tammie and I am addicted to fuzzbutts.

kesjames

• Total Posts : 83
Re:"Speed bumping" or something more sinister? - Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:16 PM
Nymphadora definitely zones out while she's standing there. Neither of them is trained to come when I call their name, though, so that doesn't work anyway. She eats a lot is is a chubby little piglet though. Nito also eats a lot but isn't fat really. I think Nymphadora's metabolism is a little slower because of her age, and her body is just shorter/squatter (bulldog frame). I found both of their adoption papers the other day and they've both gained at least half a pound since I've had them, lol. I can't believe Nito was only a pound and a half! So tiny.
Luey

• Total Posts : 28
Re:"Speed bumping" or something more sinister? - Wednesday, September 17, 2014 9:24 PM
My boys look like they're zoned out when Thayer bored and I move around. I talk mildly and approach them with my hand out and rub their faces... they usually hop around after that. If its hot they'll lay on the tiles flat to feel the cool on their bellies.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread