Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferretone on daily basis?
SoulsKeeper

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
Ferretone on daily basis? - Saturday, September 06, 2014 5:09 AM
Hello I have 2 cute little biting machines called ferrets and bought a bottle of ferretone for them but I heard it can lead to lethal doses if you give them ferret crack on a daily basis

I heard some people mix it half and half with olive oil is that good? and if so after I mix it is it possible to give it to them daily?

and when I say daily it's not a whole bowl I just let them lick the head of the bottle a bit and of my finger so is that ok for an everyday thing?

because I got to tell you that's the only thing that will get them to me from the other side of the room

(i opened this thread in the food section but no one answer :()  
whiskandbowl

• Total Posts : 179
Re:Ferretone on daily basis? - Saturday, September 06, 2014 6:10 PM
If it's less than 1/4tsp for each ferret daily, I personally don't see why that would be a problem.

Some people advise mixing it with another oil (olive or salmon) to avoid overdosing on vitamins, since Ferretone has extra vitamins added in. If you aren't giving a lot it shouldn't really be an issue IMO

Ferrets: Wesley, Percy, Owen    -rip Bandit-
Bettas- Kitty, Pip, and Logan
Sun Conure- Kita
Gerbils- Piper and Tailer
Calania

• Total Posts : 18
Re:Ferretone on daily basis? - Monday, September 08, 2014 11:00 AM
One of our older ferrets gets some Ferretone twice a day with his medicine. It is the only way he will take it. The only issue we have ever had is if we start getting generous with it he will have looser stools.
~~**~~DOOK~~**~~
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 155
Re:Ferretone on daily basis? - Tuesday, September 09, 2014 7:41 AM
The issue is Vitamin A, I believe.  If you don't over do it, ferretone is a healthy treat for your ferret.  So now, I know you are asking how much is too much.  You know when they talk about soda, processed meats, and microwave popcorn causing cancer?  How much of those foods really make a difference?  You basically have to immerse yourself in it.

Now, if you are feeding a diet rich in vitamin A (lots of liver), then you might want to cut back, but otherwise, you can give them ferretone every day.

One of the things we do to make ferretone last longer is to put a water bowl out during playtime, and sprinkle ferretone in it.  We also do that with salmon oil.

leeandparker

• Total Posts : 70
Re:Ferretone on daily basis? - Tuesday, September 09, 2014 6:23 PM
Probably the biggest problem is the BHA/BHT in it. This preservative is a known carcinogen and causes tumorigenicity. Meaning the production of tumors. Pretty much it CAUSES cancer. No if ands or buts. Small doses aren't even good for humans in moderation. Ferrets systems are so much smaller it has a much higher chance of causing problems. Not counting the cancer causing effects a lot of ferrets can not metabolize it in any way possible causing intestinal problems, ergo the loose stool. 

A great alternative is salmon oil. 
unclejoe
Re:Ferretone on daily basis? - Tuesday, September 09, 2014 9:15 PM
Member in blocked list
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 155
Re:Ferretone on daily basis? - Wednesday, September 10, 2014 7:19 AM

a ferret would have to drink a quart a day for months to OD on Vit A.  

HAHAHAHHAHAHAA!  As much as mine like Ferretone, even a quart a day for months might be too much for them.  

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread