Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Clostridial Enterotoxicosis
Lucyana1129

• Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
Clostridial Enterotoxicosis - Tuesday, September 02, 2014 8:49 PM
I took Panda to the vet. The only one that sees ferrets here is an hour away. I felt like he was acting off and wanted to get Koa looked over too. So off we went. I had called yesterday as he said it may be a partial blockage. He did abdominal X-rays and saw nothing. They upset Panda so much. He was hissing and then peed and pooped on them. They took that as a sample back. He asked if it normally looked that way and I said no. He has been pooping. It hasn't been skinny. Just not as often. This one was a bit runny. Which I assume was from being upset. So he takes it back and comes back and says Panda has Clostridial Enterotoxicosis. He prescribed Amoxicillin for two weeks. He said it could go away and not come back. If it does he says that means there is something causing it. He gave me a paper telling me about it. My issue is, he did a regular X-ray. Not a barium X-ray. Also, he did no bloodwork. He don't ask and he didn't listen when I told him his poop normally doesn't look that way. He said his pee is a bit green too. Which I knew. It is a bit neon in color. He says that's a symptom of the CE. We got home and I've given him duck soup. He's not a fan really but I wanted to try. He went poop. Pretty normal. He seemed to be squinting when he went though. His eyes were watering when he ate his hard food too. I'm at a loss. Why are his eyes watery?! He has lost weight which he said is also a sign. He said his general under the weather feeling is too. I'm worried about a blockage. He seems to shake a lot. Like he is cold. I always thought that was normal but Koa doesn't. He is eating and drinking. Although less. With less input, there's been less output. He seems lethargic but does play. Everything I've read about CE says it's not very common. He has a tooth that has black on it in the back I thought may be a cavity or something but the doctor didn't even bring it up. I spent $378 today for Amoxicillin. I don't mind at all if that is in fact the issue but I'm worried. I'm worried he may be missing something from lack if experience. I'm worried because it's uncommon. Has anyone's ferrets ever had it before? Have you heard of it? It says diarrhea is a symptom but Panda's are firm. Advice? Opinions? Help!
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Clostridial Enterotoxicosis - Wednesday, September 03, 2014 12:57 PM
Sorry for all you're going through. I hope Panda starts feeling better soon.

First, I don't know anything about this condition.

But you paid good money to take this ferret to the vet, you should demand that your questions are answered. If you feel that you didn't get all your questions answered you should call back and ask the questions you do want to know, even if the doctor cant talk to you on the phone at that time leave a message so he can call you back at his convenience. I know it's also hard when we get a diagnosis we don't want, so make sure to be objective and not too emotional when it comes to getting the knowledge you want out of it so you can decide if you believe it or not.

It may also not hurt to call a vet you are comfortable with to ask, though I'm not sure if they would for free.  Perhaps a second opinion is in order from another vet.

<message edited by Seelen on Wednesday, September 03, 2014 12:58 PM>

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message