Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 kirkland Signature Cat Food
ianctaylor

• Total Posts : 36
  • Reward points : 0
kirkland Signature Cat Food - Wednesday, August 27, 2014 1:08 PM
Any suggestions on Kirkland Signature cat food for fuzzies, if so what type? 
Thanks, Ian
TomHeretic

• Total Posts : 46
Re:kirkland Signature Cat Food - Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:14 PM
I haven't heard of it so I did a quick google search and found some info, some good some not so good. The ingredients look ok as a whole. Chicken is number 1, and no by-products which can be a plus for sure. But 2 out of the top 5 ingredients are rice. It also contains peas, which can possibly lead to bladder stones in ferrets. The very best foods have 4 if not all 5 of the top 5 ingredients being meat. There are much worse foods out there, but this pales in comparison to something like Orijen which is just top notch ingredient wise. Now to the more troubling findings...this product is made by Diamond Pet Foods. They do not have a stellar track record when it comes to the safety of their pet food. This specific cat food was recalled as recently as 2012. I also found some very current reviews from regular users of the product who claim the formula was changed with no notice and their cats who were already used to eating this food developed digestive issues or just wouldn't eat it anymore. I read one review from a particularly disgruntled customer who put out bowls of the new formula for the feral cats in the neighborhood since her cats wouldn't eat it. The feral cats also refused to eat it, but ate a different kibble from a different bowl just fine. Then she tried to give it to the wild raccoons, who also refused the food. Yikes!
whiskandbowl

• Total Posts : 179
Re:kirkland Signature Cat Food - Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:28 PM
I would steer away. Much better foods out there.

For those curious, it scores around 35 points using the MoreDooks scoring system, which is below Marshalls ( lower orange tier)
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, ground white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural chicken flavor, flaxseed, sodium bisulfate, potassium chloride, choline chloride, taurine, dried chicory root, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Crude Protein 30.00%
Crude Fat 20.00%
Crude Fiber 3.00%

Ferrets: Wesley, Percy, Owen    -rip Bandit-
Bettas- Kitty, Pip, and Logan
Sun Conure- Kita
Gerbils- Piper and Tailer
unclejoe
Re:kirkland Signature Cat Food - Wednesday, August 27, 2014 8:36 PM
Member in blocked list
ianctaylor

Re:kirkland Signature Cat Food - Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:13 PM
I'm using Marshall's right now. Is there anything out there better for the same price? I'm just a kid and I can't afford anything more expensive than Marshall's which they have been on their whole life.

wenmister
Re:kirkland Signature Cat Food - Thursday, August 28, 2014 4:31 PM
Member in blocked list
whiskandbowl

Re:kirkland Signature Cat Food - Friday, August 29, 2014 9:15 AM
For comparisons sake, Petco online has the 4lb bag of Marshalls listed at $15
$3.75/lb

Petco online has Natures Variety Instinct Duck for $25 for 5.5lbs, $4.54/lb 

So for a little less than a dollar a pound, you're getting MUCH better quality. NV is almost always 10% off at Petco, so that would make it even cheaper. You can also sign up for coupons through their website. They often send $2-3 off coupons.

Plus, they will have to eat less of a quality food.

Sun Conure- Kita
TomHeretic

Re:kirkland Signature Cat Food - Friday, August 29, 2014 9:16 AM
I'm not sure where you are located, but I live near Chicago and at the pet store I go to Marshall's is very comparable in price to Nature's Variety Instinct for cats. I did a google search and found Marshall's Premium 4lbs bag for $16.99 and found Nature's Variety Instinct for cats 5.5lbs bag for $18.99. I have personally switched a group of ferrets from Marshall's to Nature's Variety and they switched easily, but blending a couple of kibbles is beneficial. 3 of my 4 eat raw, but my kibble eater gets a blend of Nature's Variety and Orijen for cats, all varieties. She ate Marshall's all her life leading up to the switch. I consider Orijen to be top quality and I found a 5lbs bag of Orijen Cat and Kitten for $22.99. As you can see they aren't all that expensive compared to Marshall's and as wenmister said, higher quality food he won't consume as much. The cost might end up being equal or very close to it. Especially if you take into consideration that you may be helping him dodge insulinoma down the road...
TomHeretic

Re:kirkland Signature Cat Food - Friday, August 29, 2014 9:29 AM
Got me by a minute whiskandbowl, lol. Good point about Petco, they do have very good deals on Nature's Variety whenever I go there. One con about Marshall's Premium that doesn't get talked about much is the shape. I had two choking incidents with those weird cylinders. Our old blind lady Bakenya miraculously came running out of her room and found my wife and I at the computer desk and kept circling our feet frantically. I picked her up and could see the end of one of the rods sticking out of her mouth! After a bit of throat massaging we were able to help her dislodge it, but that was a really close call. Never had a problem with any of the smaller round kibbles.
ianctaylor

Re:kirkland Signature Cat Food - Friday, September 05, 2014 9:58 PM
Is it Nature's Variety Instinct Rawboost Grain-Free Duck Meal & Turkey Meal Cat Food? Thanks Ian
whiskandbowl

Re:kirkland Signature Cat Food - Saturday, September 06, 2014 6:12 PM
Yes, either the regular Instinct or the Instinct Rawboost.

The only difference is that the Rawboost has little pieces of freeze dried meat added. I personally didn't feel like it had enough of the pieces to make spending the extra $$ worth it.

Sun Conure- Kita

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages