Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Redness
Melie

• Total Posts : 44
  • Reward points : 0
Redness - Tuesday, August 26, 2014 11:52 PM
I have just transfered my ferret to my new apartment building (My mom was NOT taking care of him at all)

Anyway, I have the same cage (all cleaned of course) and I notice now that his nose, eyes, and ears are red. His eyes are watery too. I have not seen this on him before. Can anyone help?

His diet has been the same, his kitty litter has been the same and his bedding has been the same material (just replaced).

I also witnessed him drinking his pee right after he went (I keep his water fresh, so I don't know what that was about either) Could that have done it?

His poop has been some what liquidy (about a quarter is different from the rest)

Can they overheat too? It has been hot and muggy lately. 81 degrees..

Anymore info needed, ask. 
<message edited by Melie on Wednesday, August 27, 2014 12:02 AM>
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 155
Re:Redness - Wednesday, August 27, 2014 7:08 AM
What did you clean the cage with?  Could that be causing him some sensitivity?

Secondly, what type of kitty litter are you using?
unclejoe
Re:Redness - Wednesday, August 27, 2014 8:43 AM
Member in blocked list
whiskandbowl

• Total Posts : 179
Re:Redness - Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:38 PM
Ferrets can absolutely overheat. 75-80 is considered the max for them. If you don't have him in a cooler room already, I highly suggest moving him. If you don't have access to an air conditioner, frozen water bottles and chilled marble slabs can be placed in the cage for him to lie on.
You can also spritz him with a spray bottle and put a fan near (not directly blowing into!) the cage. As the water evaporates off him, it will cool him down (doesn't work as well if it's really humid) You will have to repeat this often though, so it's best to couple it with another method. 
Mine really enjoy playing in a pool of water when it is warm out

Ferrets: Wesley, Percy, Owen    -rip Bandit-
Bettas- Kitty, Pip, and Logan
Sun Conure- Kita
Gerbils- Piper and Tailer
unclejoe
Re:Redness - Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:27 PM
Member in blocked list
Melie

• Total Posts : 44
Re:Redness - Thursday, August 28, 2014 3:59 AM
I'm using the no dust, non-clumping kitty litter, I don't remember the name (Recycled newspaper though?). I also cleaned the cage with that eco-friendly dish soap and hosed it down to the extreme after scrubbing it.

He wasn't sneezing, coughing or has a runny nose but he was itching a lot at the time (I don't see any flees thankfully)

I led him toward his water dish and after he drank for a bit and watching him the redness went away. I think it was just a bit over heating (I've never seen that with him, although since I moved to go to school he hasn't been in my care for almost two years either :( )

I have a fan blowing to circulate air. I'm hoping it was just a bit of over heating, he seems fine so far. Temperature has dropped a lot since yesterday. (81 yesterday, 52 right now) That's Ontario weather for ya though!

Thanks for all the replies, I will be keeping a close eye on my little guy.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread