Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 8 month old crazy ferret
ajgrymm

• Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
8 month old crazy ferret - Thursday, August 28, 2014 12:39 AM
I posted 2 months ago about a crazy ferret, shes still crazy. She bites super hard, DOES NOT take to scruffing or the hold tactic. She runs away when we try to pick her up or even move lol, and she only seems sweet when shes inside the cage. She does give loads of kisses and she will take treats from me. we've had her since  about march i believe. She gets along with our other two ferrets PERFECTLY. She will playfully follow your hand when playing around, but oh my god that bite. When shes hiding and we stick our hand close she just chomps down HARD. She almost seems very anxious. What should i do?  Shes the angel face in the attached photo. She does let us hold her and scratch her, but only for a little while. Shes like the real life ferret version of a prissy cat. 
Attached Image(s)
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 155
Re:8 month old crazy ferret - Friday, August 29, 2014 7:06 AM

When shes hiding and we stick our hand close she just chomps down HARD.

Sounds like the reaching toward her with your hands frightens her.  Anyway you can change your methodology?

Secondly, might she be deaf?  And she bites when startled or frightened?
Luey

• Total Posts : 28
Re:8 month old crazy ferret - Sunday, September 14, 2014 9:26 PM
That's a big beautiful 8 monther... 10 months now right? My boys aren't that big. I notice my boys stare when they see me move around too fast... I stick my hand out and talk to them as I approach them so they hear me. I read that majority of white headed ferrets are deaf. Maybe hold a plush or toy when approaching her and let her come to you.
<message edited by Luey on Sunday, September 14, 2014 9:27 PM>
kesjames

• Total Posts : 83
Re:8 month old crazy ferret - Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:14 PM
Yeah one of my ferrets is from a pretty nasty background so I always make sure to say something if I approach her from behind so she knows I'm there before I grab her. It also might be good to try approaching with you hand from a lower angle, if you know what I mean. If you can identify any triggers that make her particularly anxious (my ferret is afraid of the sound of running water, but not of water itself) that would be good too. Also, make sure to move slowly and give her time to adjust to your hand being nearby before you move it closer. My ferret doesn't bite when she's scared though, so I can't really help with that.
ajgrymm

Re:8 month old crazy ferret - Tuesday, September 30, 2014 9:29 PM
she can hear, I've tapped and she hears when we are walking and we are working with her constantly, i just don't know!
ajgrymm

Re:8 month old crazy ferret - Tuesday, September 30, 2014 9:31 PM
my ferret bites but she never makes any indication that she's upset. sometimes she dooks and most times she'l be playing and will bite me, or if we stick our hands somewhere she's in she'll just snap lol. 
ajgrymm

Re:8 month old crazy ferret - Tuesday, September 30, 2014 9:38 PM
she's huge lol her face is small though, but is almost as big as our 2 year old male haha. i'll have to look into it, I've never seen any signs of deafness, but its worth a try. 
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 155
Re:8 month old crazy ferret - Wednesday, October 01, 2014 1:17 AM

I've tapped and she hears when we are walking

Tapping and walking create vibrations they can feel.  One of the best tests for deafness I've found is to wait until they are asleep and then shake a bottle/can of coins or marbles and see if it wakes them up.  Now sometimes, they are in a really deep sleep so if they don't wake up, they may not be deaf.  Therefore, you should try this test a few times and see what the results are.  

Remember, they can feel vibrations, so opening the door to the cage may wake them up.  They may also smell you if you have recently put on perfume or something.
unclejoe
Re:8 month old crazy ferret - Wednesday, October 01, 2014 11:36 AM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages