Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 For those of you in a warm climate....
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 155
  • Reward points : 0
For those of you in a warm climate.... - Wednesday, August 27, 2014 7:19 AM
I recently moved from Chicago to SW Florida.

Before I used to clean the ferrets cage twice a week and the odor was kept to a minimum.  However, I've noticed a much stronger odor from the cage and the bedding since the move, and now I need to change the bedding twice a week.  We have 3 ferrets in a FN 141.  (One 7yo male (insulinoma, adrenal), and two 1yo females)

For those of you in a warm climate, how often do you clean the cage?

If anyone has moved from a drier, more temperate climate to a warmer and more humid climate, did you experience the same thing?  The need to clean a cage more often?

TIA!
pwnedbyfuzzies2

• Total Posts : 30
Re:For those of you in a warm climate.... - Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:19 AM
I live in muggy MS where the climate is so hot and humid its nasty.  I had my fuzzy's in four rooms before i moved them to my hallway to my bathroom.  The reason is, i had to wash their hammocks and blankets every other day due to smell cause of where i had them.  When i moved them to my hallway the air flow kept them cool and it was dark i noticed they didn't smell as much.  This was perfect for me due to they were able to sleep longer and keep cooler.  Problem living in a hot and humid climate is even your home has a musty smell after a day of steam baths outside.  The same applies to the fuzzys cage, less sun and more air flow areas for them is what i found makes them stink less where i live.  I have lived in AZ, NY, UT, MO, and KY and found MS to be the most humid, i had guinea pigs in AZ and KY and here.  This is the first time I've had Ferrets (to which i can't imagine not having them in my life) and tried to find solutions to why they needed certain things a certain way.  Also, i stopped using direct tap water cause of the chlorine ( I tested the water) and bromine i found in it, I use Zero filter for their water.  I noticed their urine had a stronger smell with tap water than with the filtered water.   All these little things i know is a pain but being in this forum has made me a sherlock holmes of "what's best for my fuzzy" even down to making an a/c from bucket, cool water or ice(if available) with a battery powered /solar powered fan so my fuzzys won't be in the stinking heat if there's a power failure - see how nutsy i am!
You know due to hurricanes or tornado's or any disaster that would leave me without power and them without a way to cool off.   Maybe do some research in your home and find an area with good air flow or something that helps.  Its just a thought.  Maybe it helps?

Kathy
whiskandbowl

• Total Posts : 179
Re:For those of you in a warm climate.... - Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:23 PM
I'm in PA, but it can be humid here. I definitely notice a difference in cage odor on hot days. When it's especially humid, everything feels disgusting, even the carpet (ugh!). Last heat wave I did a total cage scrubdown because it just smelled so bad.

Don't forget to scrub out the litterboxes! I couldn't believe how much they contributed to the odor. I gave them a good scrub and the smell is 10x better! That old stuck on poop really contributes to the smell

Ferrets: Wesley, Percy, Owen    -rip Bandit-
Bettas- Kitty, Pip, and Logan
Sun Conure- Kita
Gerbils- Piper and Tailer
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:For those of you in a warm climate.... - Sunday, August 31, 2014 2:29 AM
How much can they stand heat wise? I was under the impression that ferrets don't do well in the heat. 

Asking because we have had our AC break twice since we bought this house and I made hubby put in the window units immediately so the ferrets could stay cool.

Snapper13

• Total Posts : 155
Re:For those of you in a warm climate.... - Tuesday, September 02, 2014 7:32 AM

How much can they stand heat wise?
 A rule of thumb is no warmer than 80 degrees fahrenheit.
Luey

• Total Posts : 28
Re:For those of you in a warm climate.... - Sunday, September 14, 2014 10:29 PM
I just got my boys and notice that they were fine until I took them outside. The musk is definitely stronger after being out for a while. Its definitely hot as hell in Florida to have them out mid day. Under 78 is ideal.
unclejoe
Re:For those of you in a warm climate.... - Monday, September 15, 2014 8:08 AM
Member in blocked list
kesjames

• Total Posts : 83
Re:For those of you in a warm climate.... - Monday, September 15, 2014 10:56 AM
I live in Florida, and I don't clean very frequently tbh...I have a FN 182 and I wash the bedding, litterbox, and bottom-tier pans once a week (their litterbox, food and water are on the bottom so it gets dirtier). Top pans every two weeks. Scoop litter once a day (twice recently to attempt to combat pooping in unauthorized areas). I don't really have an issue with odor, but I only have two small females. generally only completely replace litter when I scrub the litterbox on weekends, but sometimes I will in the middle of the week if there's any ammonia odor.
kesjames

• Total Posts : 83
Re:For those of you in a warm climate.... - Monday, September 15, 2014 11:00 AM
I should note that I keep the blinds drawn literally all of the time, which helps keep the room pretty cool (about 75 during the day; that's really cool for someone who grew up in FL!). It's also not very humid in my room because I keep the windows closed and it's fairly far from the exterior doors. So I think cage location helps.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread