Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferrets and House Guests?
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
  • Reward points : 0
Ferrets and House Guests? - Sunday, August 10, 2014 3:23 PM
Ok so first of all I don't mean your friend that comes over occasionally or anything like that. I'm talking about my mom. She comes to visit sometimes just because, and recently expressed to me that my ferrets stress her out. On one hand I would like her to be comfortable as a guest - she isn't afraid of them or anything - but on the other hand this is their home. If we're watching a movie or something I'm not going to make them stay in their cage just because she is here, I don't think it's fair. When school starts up again the weekend will be their most free time all week (they have quite enjoyed me being unemployed and out of school this summer, lol). 

I know she will visit but I don't think its fair to leave them cooped up the whole time just because shes here. Any suggestions?
wenmister
Re:Ferrets and House Guests? - Sunday, August 10, 2014 5:50 PM
Member in blocked list
Seelen

Re:Ferrets and House Guests? - Sunday, August 10, 2014 5:52 PM
Minimum a day, which is fine. Sometimes up to 4, which isn't fair to the ferrets. :\
penguinpixie13

• Total Posts : 30
Re:Ferrets and House Guests? - Sunday, August 10, 2014 8:41 PM
block off the room shes in so they cant get in? or maybe a play pen. I use a marshal's 11 panel and will be getting extensions. that way their still out but away from her. Why do they stress her out if you don't mind me asking?
Seelen

Re:Ferrets and House Guests? - Monday, August 11, 2014 12:52 PM
I honestly don't know. I've had them since November, shes fine with me bringing them to her house if I visit her for a few days, she's never said anything until recently. 

I kind of think she isn't being 100% honest. The reason she gave is my stepdad. He is a big guy and can't hear well. I keep a very close eye on them and him when they're out, but usually he just falls asleep on a chair watching TV as they are older... his daughter has like 5 or something ferrets too, so I seriously doubt that he is the reason that she said it.

It just happened on a recent phone call which she was kind of drunk in, and she said that they stress her out.   /shrug
wenmister
Re:Ferrets and House Guests? - Monday, August 11, 2014 2:11 PM
Member in blocked list
CynLC243

• Total Posts : 8
Re:Ferrets and House Guests? - Friday, August 22, 2014 7:30 PM
When you block them off in the play room do they dig at the floor where the plexi glass is? I have a spare room which I use as a ferret room but I cannot block them in there because the will dig at the carpet by the door. I've tried blocking off around the door and I even bought the plastic carpet but they manage to get up under it and dig. Any ideas how to make them stop? 
<message edited by CynLC243 on Friday, August 22, 2014 7:31 PM>
[Cynthia, Daisy, Duke, & Bear]
wenmister
Re:Ferrets and House Guests? - Saturday, August 23, 2014 7:01 AM
Member in blocked list
wacferret

• Total Posts : 92
Re:Ferrets and House Guests? - Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:39 PM
I have the same issue with the mom-in-law She visits it is a 1-4 week affair (she is coming up from FLA) Also whenever we watch any or our friends dogs (won't risk them being out with a dog that is NOT mine. We use the playpen in both situations. Allows fuzzies to be out to play but no harm from strange dogs or to freaked out mom-in law. NOT the ideal situation but we make it work best we can. We have their cages in the Livingroom so we don't close the playpen (at least not as it was meant to be closed and locked into itself), since the cages are against the wall we have one open side up against the wall and the other open side on the other side of the cages also against the wall. This way they have more square footage to play and have access to their cages, food, water. They don't like it much but it is better than very limitted play time of none at all.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread