Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Free roam ferrets; What do I do about my stove and frig ?
CynLC243

• Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
Free roam ferrets; What do I do about my stove and frig ? - Friday, August 22, 2014 6:59 PM
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to safely block off underneath my stove and frig. My female Daisy and my new baby boy Bear recently started disappearing and I realized they had found a way under the stove and up into the bottom drawer. And Bear can slide underneath the frig as well which I have moved and dusted because it was causing him to sneeze. My entire apartment is ferret proofed except for these two. I have hoodies stuffed on the sides because my oldest male ferret Duke likes to climb into those areas because he can't get under the stove or frig. But as for underneath them I am afraid to put anything because I feel like that might cause a fire hazard. Under the frig I can feel the warmth from it. I know I can't be the only one with this problem? Lol. Could anyone suggest any safe ideas for me to stop them from sneaking under there?
Thank you.
P.s. only free roam when me or my boyfriend are home with them. 
Attached Image(s)
[Cynthia, Daisy, Duke, & Bear]
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:Free roam ferrets; What do I do about my stove and frig ? - Sunday, August 31, 2014 2:50 AM
Theres actually some really nice designs for beside the refrigerator spice racks and can holders. Perhaps you could make one of these - it would fill the space so teh ferrets cant get behind it from the sides and give you some extra storage. 

As for the stove, I'm not really sure. I had trouble in our last apartment because it was missing some trim under the cabinets. After we blocked that off they stopped with the stove. 

Link is to google images of what I'm talking about. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=beside+the+refrigerator+storage+cabinet&espv=2&tbm=isch&imgil=VVvPDp32CCUOhM%253A%253BhtqCin7Av3nE6M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.spaceplanner.com%25252FStorage_Solutions.html&source=iu&fir=VVvPDp32CCUOhM%253A%252ChtqCin7Av3nE6M%252C_&usg=__ogbgMemihTPufZe0KnEoBrVVFSE%3D&sa=X&ei=K8UCVP7qJ8qRNtq-gqgH&ved=0CFkQ9QEwBg&biw=1767&bih=888#imgdii=_

As for underneath, many home improvement stores sell cabinet trim. You should be able to find a piece that will fit under the refrigerator. Most refrigerators come with this piece when you buy them new, but they often break later. It would probably not be cost effective to replace this in a rented apartment. 
<message edited by Seelen on Sunday, August 31, 2014 2:52 AM>
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:Free roam ferrets; What do I do about my stove and frig ? - Sunday, August 31, 2014 2:56 AM
OH and by the way, you should remove the hoodies. Creating hot spots on appliances is probably not a safe thing to do!

There are heat-management parts in the walls of the refrigerator and the coils on the back, as well as usually one fan. The fan is the part you need to be sure not to block (the fire hazard) but it's also important not to create areas to be too warm too, like insulating the refrigerator with the hoodies.

We just recently replaced our dishwasher (the one didnt work when we bought the house) and found that mice had removed the padding from the top and relocated it to an area on the dishwasher that was more comfortable for them. It ended up causing a hot spot that did apparently melt some things around the dish washer (kind of glad now that it didnt work!)

Be safe and good luck!
wacferret

• Total Posts : 92
Re:Free roam ferrets; What do I do about my stove and frig ? - Wednesday, September 03, 2014 7:46 PM
If possible I would just try to block off the whole kitchen so you have no worries. A good baby gate with plywood, plexiglass or even cardboard attached to it should eliminate them using the gate as a ladder. If that is not an option I use molding (ceiling or crown molding) to block off under my wall unit. I painted it so it matches the black wall unit and attached 3 pieces together so it blocks off the front and 2 sides. You could do something similar only blocking off the bottom and sides of your fridge. You could use it for the stove too just remove it when using the oven (should be OK when using the top burners as the heat rises so no problem getting the molding on the floor too hot) good luck

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread