Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Litter training! Please help!
Pretzel

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
Litter training! Please help! - Tuesday, August 19, 2014 11:28 AM
First post, hello forum :)

We have had our two neutered males for about 6 wks now (first-time ferret parents). They are around 4.5 months old. One ferret (Jawa) uses the litter box perfectly with no issues whatsoever. The other one (Carby) will use the box maybe 20% of the time -- the rest of the time, it's on the side of the cage, just outside the box. (Never anywhere else in the cage -- only next to the box, so he clearly knows the general potty area, at least!!)

We started out with a pretty small corner litter box, which neither of them liked, and a litter that was frankly pretty useless. We switched to a bigger square box (the Marshall lock-on) and paper pellet litter. This was maybe 3 wks ago, and since then, Jawa has been 100%. Carby has improved, but not much at all, and he doesn't seem to be making any progress over time.
I scoop the box daily and put a fresh layer of litter on top. The cleanliness of the box seems to make no difference to him. He has used it when it's freshly cleaned, and when it's well-used. We clean up all messes thoroughly with Nature's Miracle. We give praise, treats and roam time when he uses it properly, and he obviously knows what we want from him, because he goes in there to 'fake it' often!

We have their water bottle in the adjacent corner, but he will go between the box and the bottle. We've tried placing bedding and the food dish there, but he'll just go right on top of them. I know he's telling us that something isn't meeting his needs, I just can't figure out what it is!

Is it possible he does not like sharing the box with Jawa? If this is the case, and we added another box, what would we do if Jawa decided to use both boxes? Or, is the box just not big enough? We didn't want to use anything bigger because currently they've only got a one-unit Ferret Nation cage, and we want them to have space for things besides the bathroom! Both boys are healthy and energetic and get plenty of roaming time outside the cage. Hubby thinks he might be acting out, but he goes outside the box both when we are in the room and when we're not, so I don't think he's doing it for attention.

I love my Carby dearly, but I just can't figure out what it is he wants. Please help me! Sorry for the long post, but I figured too many details is better than too little :)
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 155
Re:Litter training! Please help! - Wednesday, August 20, 2014 7:20 AM
I was going to suggest a bigger box, even though you said you didnt' want to do that.  I was thinking that using a plastic container of some sort, that fit the width of the cage perfectly, and then cutting down one side, would work.  Carby wouldn't be able to go to the side of the litter box any more.
unclejoe
Re:Litter training! Please help! - Wednesday, August 20, 2014 12:10 PM
Member in blocked list
Pretzel

• Total Posts : 3
Re:Litter training! Please help! - Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:51 PM
Thank you both for the ideas!! A dishpan sounds like it would be a good fit. I will try cutting one side and placing it next to the Marshall pan. We'll see what happens :)

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread