Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Please help, In over my head
n0script

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
Please help, In over my head - Saturday, July 26, 2014 7:00 AM
Hello all,

I would really appreciate some help!

Yesterday I rescued a young female ferret, very scared, who was found in somebody's garage, I got her home and setup 
a cage with fresh water, a variety of meat (have read raw is the way to go) and some material for her to snuggle up in.

She has been eating and drinking like it's going out of fashion, for which I am happy as she must of been starving.

When I have had her out of the cage she has been quite aggressive with me, hissing and has bitten me several times, 1 was really serious, she was very close to taking a good sized chunk out of my thumb.

I had read that 'scruffing' was a good option for discipline (and was needed to separate her teeth from my fingers)

We aren't allowed ferrets as pets in my country, and if found are euthanized.

I understand there to be an underground group of owners around my country, but naturally getting in touch with such people will not be easy.

I know a vet that I should be able to work with if needed in the future.

Has anyone got any ideas as to how I may cut down the biting and generally improve our relationship?

Just to break it down:

- Female
- Around a year old (based on the teeth)
- Found in an urban environment, either escaped or abandoned (not wild, suspect abused, neglected or had very little human contact)
- Shows aggression towards me, and if able will seriously bite me (lots of blood)
- When held is very scared (I can feel her shaking)
- Illegal to own in my country
- If found will be euthanized
- Vet known, will likely be cooperative
- Would love to keep her as a pet if at all possible, understanding the consequences for both of us

Thankyou for reading, 
I eagerly await your reply.

K
Attached Image(s)
wenmister
Re:Please help, In over my head - Saturday, July 26, 2014 7:49 AM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:Please help, In over my head - Saturday, July 26, 2014 10:51 AM
Member in blocked list
n0script

Re:Please help, In over my head - Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:47 AM
Thankyou for your suggestions,

POST 1:

Yeah I understand your point of view on this, I was quite excited to have her and wasn't exactly thinking from her 
point of view in the change of environment.

I liked the idea of a ferret room and have since setup a nice closed off area for her.

Also the stuffed toy idea sounds like a winner, will try that.

POST 2:

Regarding the legislation, it was pretty much a clear cut case in 2002 to outlaw the ownership of them, 
ferrets ended up getting a really bad reputation here, as they were blamed for killing off our native wildlife.

That isn't the truth in any way, it was feral stoats, weasels, possums and to a minor degree feral ferrets that were introduced in the 1800's 
but that's what our department of conservation had to say and what followed was an outright ban on domesticated ferrets.

I have hunted around in the past for such a forum or group and even recent google searches have netted no result (I have been interested in ferret ownership since I was a child) 

It's a real shame it ended up like this here, as I have very fond memories of ferrets as a child.

Thankyou for your replies,

K
crisp20

• Total Posts : 216
Re:Please help, In over my head - Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:41 PM
good for you, it must have been Christmas for you when you found her! As far as relationships and biting goes, the trick is patience and consistency. When she bites you, just scruff her gently and maybe drag her a bit across the floor (gently). You are showing her YOU are the dominant ferret, which ferrets will do amongst themselves to establish a pecking order. Again, the key is consistency here, She will bite and bite and bite, and every time you MUST scruff her to let her know its not right, after a few months (maybe longer - patiance) she will get the idea. As far as establishing a healthy relationship, give her lot's of playtime, but not just playtime, playtime wiht YOU, everyday. One big thing about ferrets that people don't understand (I'm sure you know)is that they are extremely interactive animals, that need to be stimulated when they are out and about, ahuman (or other ferret) is the prefect solution to this problem. The more you interact with her, the closer she will be to you. A ferret is naturally curious and inquisitive, so she WANTS to play with you, she just needs to be comfortable and familiar with you first.
n0script

Re:Please help, In over my head - Sunday, July 27, 2014 10:22 PM
POST 3:

Oh yes, literally like a kid on christmas eve!

Is feeding them from the hand ok to do? or is it better to feed them from the bowl?
Been wondering, as with other animals particularly rats I believed handing them treats would strengthen a bond.
Or am I associating my fingers with food, therefore reinforcing biting behaviour?

Day 4:
Earlier today I fed her and sat down and let her climb on me, up and down my jersey sleeves etc, she seemed 
pretty calm, occasionally hissing at me, I had to keep my fingers clear of her as if she gets a chance she still try's to take them off.

She ended up getting ahold of my finger and tearing away at it, I managed to scruff her (she wasn't letting go) and did the drag thing.
She really loosened up, I presume it was submissive, but I noticed a pungent odor, like a stinkbomb had gone off and after I had released her some hissing followed, then she casually walked off and climbed into her bed.

I think we are making progress, that was a full 45 minutes of interaction until the incident at the end.

Thankyou for your replies,

K
<message edited by n0script on Sunday, July 27, 2014 10:24 PM>
unclejoe
Re:Please help, In over my head - Monday, July 28, 2014 8:30 AM
Member in blocked list
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 155
Re:Please help, In over my head - Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:43 AM
Sometimes white ferrets (and your little girl seems to have a white head, what we'd call a panda here in the US) are deaf.  You might want to do a few tests to see if she is deaf, in which case the hissing and perhaps the aggressiveness might be understandable.  You just have to change your method of approaching her if she is deaf, so you dont' startle her.
CMalak04

• Total Posts : 26
Re:Please help, In over my head - Thursday, July 31, 2014 10:51 AM

My girl was very aggressive at first, before I knew she was totally deaf.  After I found out she was deaf, I changed things I was doing and how I handled her in certain situations.  She's much better now.  Not near as aggressive as she used to be, but can still be feisty.  I hope she comes around with you so you can enjoy her cuteness at 100%!

Snapper13

Sometimes white ferrets (and your little girl seems to have a white head, what we'd call a panda here in the US) are deaf.  You might want to do a few tests to see if she is deaf, in which case the hissing and perhaps the aggressiveness might be understandable.  You just have to change your method of approaching her if she is deaf, so you dont' startle her.

.-Connie-.   <(^o.o^)>
Mommy to Farrah & Boomer

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages