Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 striking and biting
KittycatJade

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
striking and biting - Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:20 AM
My 8 week old kit Oscar is playful and when he play bites its fine he doesn't hurt. but yesterday he left gashes in my fingers after he was exploring, in my lap (I was looking at his brother Meeko as i was about to pull him away from the sofa) then Oscar got off my lap and made a weird noise and lunged at my finger and shook his head while continuing to hiss and make noises, it hurt a lot so I pulled away and it was quite deep, since then he has done it again twice and I can tell this isn't playing. I have tried scruffing, hissing, drag across the floor and sanctioning after he has done it but after all that he just bites me again, my fingers are very sore...any advise would be appreciated :)
leeandparker

• Total Posts : 70
Re:striking and biting - Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:38 PM
He is young so will bite a lot. But also he could've seen you as a threat. Eight weeks old is half the age ferrets should be rehomed so I am guessing you got him from a store. He does not know you yet, so to him you are a possible threat. One of the best ways to solve a biting problem in my experience is a raw diet. It is a million times healthier and satisfies their urge to chew. 
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:striking and biting - Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:58 PM
Just keep up with it. Our Bear was returned to the petstore for biting too much, so we knew what we were in for when we got him. It took months of training but now he is the biggest cuddlebug, he bites if he gets really excited during play but that's all. He's a sweetie, don't give up!
wacferret

• Total Posts : 92
Re:striking and biting - Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:16 PM
HES a KIT!!! THEY BITE!! It will take time and patience to get him Nip trained. Scruff, Drag, Hiss works just give it time. DO NOT let him go from the scruff until you know he has submitted. You can usually tell they submit once they yawn and the "fire" has gone from their stare (you know the look I mean "Yeah put me down so I can chew your ankle off") When nip training Pirate we would have to scruff and hold him until he yawned about 3 or 4 times that is when we knew he has given up (sometimes the scruff would be 1-2 mins) Patience and consistency and you will see it works good luck
unclejoe
Re:striking and biting - Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:47 AM
Member in blocked list
Gauntylgrym

• Total Posts : 1
Re:striking and biting - Monday, August 18, 2014 10:40 PM
wacferret

HES a KIT!!! THEY BITE!! It will take time and patience to get him Nip trained. Scruff, Drag, Hiss works just give it time. DO NOT let him go from the scruff until you know he has submitted. You can usually tell they submit once they yawn and the "fire" has gone from their stare (you know the look I mean "Yeah put me down so I can chew your ankle off") When nip training Pirate we would have to scruff and hold him until he yawned about 3 or 4 times that is when we knew he has given up (sometimes the scruff would be 1-2 mins) Patience and consistency and you will see it works good luck

This works indeed. And it continues to work even into adulthood, though they do seem to submit a bit faster when grown. I have one kit (a year old in December) and two adult males (about 5 years old or so), and the little brat definitely has to be held longer (still) to get her to stop whatever undesirable behavior (usually biting at bare feet under the computer desk).
~Truth does not depend on what you or I believe.~

Errtu--sable point male
Ifrit--champagne/cinnamon (can't tell which) male
Luna(tic)--black sable female

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages