Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Coccidiosis
pwnedbyfuzzies2

• Total Posts : 30
  • Reward points : 0
Coccidiosis - Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:41 PM
This morning when i woke up my two fuzzies, my male Raven used the litter and i heard liquid sound and looked and it as burnt orange.  Naturally i freaked out grabbed him and made my way to the vet for emergency visit.  They checked him out and found Coccidiosis (protozoan parasites) in his poop.  The vet said it happens to some ferrets, but it kills me to see him sick in anyway.  I have the medicine its a sulfur type medicine we got from a special pharmacy and for now i am ok about his health but still kind of freaked out about the situation.  I keep thinking it happened cause of my a/c going out and they were in the heat for a few hours.  Just wanted to give you guys an update on his health and a protozoan parasite i knew nothing about prior to this.  This just gives me the impression that i still know nothing about my ferrets and thier possible health risks.  

Thanks for letting me rant
Kathy
Lexani732

• Total Posts : 4
Re:Coccidiosis - Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:51 PM
Hey Kathy,

Your babies didn't get coccidia from the heat. ( : Pets generally pick up this lovely protozoa from contaminated fecal matter or airborne particles. It is as easy as bringing it in on your shoes. Treatment generally goes well after one treatment, but may require another. Just give your baby the medicine and recheck a fecal when you're done. Make sure you clean up the poops while they are being "booted" out as to not reinfect them, you, or any other pets in your house. Everyone is susceptible to this protozoa. Generally those with a good immune system don't have to worry as much, but make sure to wash your hands! If you have other pets in your house I would probably put them on the same treatment or at least have a fecal done. 

Hope that makes you feel better. ( :
unclejoe
Re:Coccidiosis - Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:05 AM
Member in blocked list
pwnedbyfuzzies2

• Total Posts : 30
Re:Coccidiosis - Thursday, July 31, 2014 2:56 PM
So after posting I went a bit mental in that I completely scrubbed everything down with a small amount of bleach and sprayed Lysol over and cleaned up including all toys,tunnels and anything they like to sleep with and play with.  Of course I sprayed their cage down again (twice in three days) and I got a nip on my ankle when I brought it back in from Sun drying.  Ravens poop is back to normal and is on sulfamex-a-something for 8 more days.  Panda has not shown any signs but I still worry so next Tuesday when raven goes in to the vet panda is going too.  I ordered EVO online and looking into meat bones for their teeth thus forum has helped greatly when it comes to food and care for my fuzz babies.  So thank you all for your advice and suggestions.  It helps to know others that have been through this, it does make me feel better. 

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread