Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Is it ever okay to let your ferret nip you?
lexiluther

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Is it ever okay to let your ferret nip you? - Sunday, July 27, 2014 11:28 PM
I just adopted a year old ferret from a home where I don't believe he was taken care of very well - despite this, he is generally pretty well behaved and is fairly litter trained. I'm wondering if it's okay to let him "nip" me while playing with him? When I play with him sometimes he'll put my finger in his mouth but his nips are never painful. He's very gentle!

Would this type of play be okay as long as I scruff him should he nip too hard?
Weezlemum

• Total Posts : 29
Re:Is it ever okay to let your ferret nip you? - Sunday, July 27, 2014 11:55 PM
As long my kids don't play hard they do with each other I let them..  and they understand that they can not bite/nip me like they do their fuzzit siblings.. 
wacferret

• Total Posts : 92
Re:Is it ever okay to let your ferret nip you? - Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:57 PM
I agree a NIP (no pain, no pressure, NO BLOOD) is the way ferrets play with each other. Some people say that you should NEVER let them put their teeth on your skin, but ferrets don't have hands they use their mouths to play. So its MY belief that as long as it is a nip not a BITE its OK. The same as 2 ferrets wrestling as long as no one is hurt (no blood, no poop, no foul) its just play. As with any animal you have to train them to what is OK with YOU, set your limits as the ALPHA in the home and be consistent, they will learn what is OK and what gets them in trouble, the same way they learn how to play with each other. Most ferrants will tell you always use a toy and not your hands as they learn what is a play thing and what feeds, gives love, treats, ect... I agree if you have young children in the house. But they are capable of knowing the difference between a bite and a playful nip, its comes down to what YOU are comfortable with and your own family/living situation (who lives there? who will be handling the ferret? do you have lots of visitors that will be interacting/playing with your ferret?). I always make my nieces/nephews/ friends kids use a toy when playing with the ferrets. Adults get a warning, but my 3 are all really good, 2 NEVER EVER bite (not a once in over 3 years), Pirate will if he is too overexcited but not to the point of blood Just be cautious as a nip can easily turn into a bite with an overexcited ferret. Also be wary as what you perceive as a nip others may see as a bite so be cautious with others playing with your fuzzy.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread