Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Need help with naughty behavior
AmeilaJo

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
Need help with naughty behavior - Saturday, July 26, 2014 10:26 AM
Hey guys! I currently have 2 fuzzies and this is my first time having fuzzies so it's definitely been an adventure! 

So my problem right now is that I found that they are "digging" into my box spring and have made a hole in there. I've tried multiple ways to block off the area, but as you all well know I'm sure, they can squeeze into tight spaces. Not to mention they can be quite determined once they've set their mind to do something. I'm not entirely sure how to deal with this behavior. (Perhaps bed frame and ply wood to prevent digging into the bottom of the box spring?)
For a while now I have given them free range in my room all the time and it's been fine until I figured out what they were doing with the box spring. So now I changed it so I have their cage in my room and am thinking they may have to stay in there when I'm not home to supervise or able to supervise. I just worry for their teeth because my one will chew and pull at the bars with her teeth. 

Any suggestions? Any ideas on providing mental stimulation for them while they are outside the cage? I did just get some biodegradable packing peanuts/dig box that's on it's way to me. I'm hoping they find that somewhat interesting. 

Thoughts? Suggestions? 
Thanks all!!!

leeandparker

• Total Posts : 70
Re:Need help with naughty behavior - Saturday, July 26, 2014 3:33 PM
If you don't already you reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly need a rice box. Ferrets we have come from working ferrets with digging in their nature. Mattresses and couches are great because they are dark and full of stuffing perfect for digging. Some things you can try are: get an allergin mattress bag. They're sleeves usually made of a thick plastic sheet or vinyl made to block dust from getting in and are pretty hardy against ferrets. You could also try putting your mattress on a plywood sheet. And finally go get some of those black plastic yard pipes. Your little fuzzies will go crazy running through them and it can satisfy, with a rice box, the urge to dig and tunnel. 
unclejoe
Re:Need help with naughty behavior - Saturday, July 26, 2014 4:59 PM
Member in blocked list
wenmister
Re:Need help with naughty behavior - Saturday, July 26, 2014 5:08 PM
Member in blocked list
wenmister
Re:Need help with naughty behavior - Saturday, July 26, 2014 5:09 PM
Member in blocked list
AmeilaJo

Re:Need help with naughty behavior - Saturday, July 26, 2014 6:13 PM
Thank you everyone so much for your tips! :)

I was thinking of using rice, but I am concerned they may eat the rice or that it may be a choking hazard which is why I went with the packing peanuts instead.  

Rotating toys. Awesome idea. I should be sure to do that. And I just bought a staple gun so I can staple an old sheet to the box spring. 

Thanks again everyone!!! :)   

<message edited by AmeilaJo on Saturday, July 26, 2014 6:14 PM>
unclejoe
Re:Need help with naughty behavior - Saturday, July 26, 2014 7:59 PM
Member in blocked list
AmeilaJo

Re:Need help with naughty behavior - Saturday, July 26, 2014 8:58 PM
Awesome! Thank you! :)
wacferret

• Total Posts : 92
Re:Need help with naughty behavior - Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:09 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of ferret proofing. A job that will never really end as you fix one problem they will come up with a new one for you. As for the free roam in you room 1 thing I used when we had the foster or have company over is that I would use the ferret playpen. Not that they are just in the pen itself. Their cages are against the wall so I open the playpen up and wedge it against the wall so there cage is inside but the pen surrounds it (playpen actually surrounds 3 sides of the cage back is against the wall). It allows them to have some play space outside their cage but still limits the "Trouble" they can get into. GOOD LUCK

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread