Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 2 year old ferret still refusing to use a litter box during playtime?
AmbitiousAmanda

• Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
2 year old ferret still refusing to use a litter box during playtime? - Thursday, July 10, 2014 11:30 PM
Alrighty, I thought I had this problem solved with one of my two ferrets but I was wrong-- when I moved away from home I noticed he was using crevices and corners I couldn't see/reach (it was an old house...) yucky!

I got these two when they had just turned a year, I've had them for almost a year... so they're both nearing the age of two now.

One of them is fine using the litter box both in the cage and outside during playtime-- I reward him occasionally (really, every time I see him go to the litter box and see that he used it) with ferretone.

The other is fine in the cage using the litter boxes but once it's outside for playtime, he completely refuses to use the litter boxes provided. Originally, before I bought bigger litter pans for out during playtime, I had just moved their cage litter boxes out and let them use that-- or really, let the one ferret who successfully uses the litter box. 

They both use it in the cage, but the other literally completely refuses to use the litter box out during playtime. The logical response would be to place litter boxes where he does his business, and that was the first thing I tried- that's where the litter boxes are now placed, but now he picked two new spots that I simply cannot put the litter boxes in.

I have my living room blocked off from my kitchen and bathroom, they play here in the living room. It's spacious enough, but not too spacious so they get lost or anything-- and the spots he now chooses to do his business is either directly in front of the plexiglass I have as a blockage splitting the living room and hallway from each other-- so if I put a litter box there, I can't walk over it to get to and from the kitchen and bathroom-- and I'm afraid of them trying to use the litter box to attempt to jump the plexiglass-- and the other spot he chose is right next to or right in front of my computer. The computer is up against the wall- and my chair is basically the same, so putting a litter box there wouldn't really work, and if I put it next to the computer it would be under my desk-- where my feet are.

I try to catch him before he goes and I put him in the litter box- and we continue to do so, as he refuses and tries to leave it multiple times-- to the point where he literally cannot hold it in any more and does his business in the litter box. I ALWAYS reward him with ferretone if he successfully goes in the litter box (even with my help-- which, always is).

I tried sternly telling him "NO!" while scruffing him if he does his business not in the litterbox, I tried 'time-outs', I tried putting his nose near it and telling him no, (immediately after he does it, not any time later)-- I tried ignoring it (just cleaning it up) and when I catch him in time to force him to do it in the litter box and heavily rewarding him (good boy! good boy! + ferretone), I tried getting new litter boxes and not allowing the other ferret to poop in the second one (thinking maybe one "claimed" one of the litter boxes by doing business in it), and putting litter boxes where he was originally doing his business.

He seems to simply absolutely refuse; but he has no issue doing it in the cage in the litter box-- where there are two, one on each level-- which they both share, but when he comes out he just plain refuses. Like I said, he jumps out of the litter box and tries to run right back where he was gonna do his business (in front of the plexiglass and next to or in front of my computer) until I continually bring him back to the litter box and don't let him leave 'till he does this.

I should add- he also will try as hard as he can to do it while I am not looking or paying attention. He will go to the spot, and he will "speed bump" or lay there- and pretend he's not doing anything- but of course, I know better. And sometimes, I'll be in the middle of something-- so I'll look away for a second-- and BAM, he's already 1/2 way through his business. It's like a HUGE slap in the face! 

And usually, this is understandable to be a long process with patience with kits or moving away; but I've been doing this for nearly a year (about 2-3 months shy of it) and he just will not do it. It's becoming really discouraging because it's like-- yay, play time!-- oh, I have cleaned up 5 of your poos and 3 of your pees today and my whole roll of paper towels are gone! (And here in NYC, paper towels are hella expensive!)

But yeah, sorry for the book; I'm just at a total loss of ideas now.

TL;DR: 2 y/o ferret does his business in the cage's litter boxes fine; but when out for play time refuses- and I mean REFUSES- to use the litter box at all possible costs. Placed litter boxes where he went poo, avoids that now- got new litter boxes that are certainly spacious enough, still avoids it; tried assigning litter boxes to each ferret- still avoids it. Been trying to teach him for about a year. Still isn't succeeding. Help!

Edit: Boyfriend just suggested puppy training pads.... hm. What do you guys think?!
<message edited by AmbitiousAmanda on Friday, July 11, 2014 8:51 PM>
leeandparker

• Total Posts : 70
Re:2 year old ferret still refusing to use a litter box during playtime? - Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:51 PM
First thing throw out the ferratone. It is LITERALLY poison. I work in a vets office and that stuff is garbage. A raw egg a week and salmon oil instead of ferratone works wonders. 

Second. Puppy training pads are GREAT XD. Whenever I get a new rescue my room looks like dexters killing room(but with puppy pads). Pooping isn't just a bathroom necessity for ferrets but also a phycological thing too. If you might be using a wood based litter it will be dusty and upset his nose. He has to use the one in his cage because he probably won't poop in the bed but your room is a giant litter box. If you use paper pellets or a dust free litter it could be him claiming that area as his territory. They are territorial . He could also simply be regressing. Obviously he is ashamed which is why he is hiding it. Sticking his nose in it is NOT helpful. I have never liked this practice because often they don't understand and just see you being mean to them. Which you're not you're doing it out of love. 

Now for some helpful ideas. The puppy pad is a great one if you can't put the litter box there. Now something else you can try is switching the litter or getting a bigger box. I use full size cat litter boxes with the lids. Some ferrets are self conscious. I'm not kidding XD. 

The positive reinforcement of using the box is one of the best tools in training. 
AmbitiousAmanda

• Total Posts : 14
Re:2 year old ferret still refusing to use a litter box during playtime? - Friday, July 25, 2014 8:27 PM
leeandparker

First thing throw out the ferratone. It is LITERALLY poison. I work in a vets office and that stuff is garbage. A raw egg a week and salmon oil instead of ferratone works wonders. 

Second. Puppy training pads are GREAT XD. Whenever I get a new rescue my room looks like dexters killing room(but with puppy pads). Pooping isn't just a bathroom necessity for ferrets but also a phycological thing too. If you might be using a wood based litter it will be dusty and upset his nose. He has to use the one in his cage because he probably won't poop in the bed but your room is a giant litter box. If you use paper pellets or a dust free litter it could be him claiming that area as his territory. They are territorial . He could also simply be regressing. Obviously he is ashamed which is why he is hiding it. Sticking his nose in it is NOT helpful. I have never liked this practice because often they don't understand and just see you being mean to them. Which you're not you're doing it out of love. 

Now for some helpful ideas. The puppy pad is a great one if you can't put the litter box there. Now something else you can try is switching the litter or getting a bigger box. I use full size cat litter boxes with the lids. Some ferrets are self conscious. I'm not kidding XD. 

The positive reinforcement of using the box is one of the best tools in training. 

I only use it as a treat when they successfully use the litter box, so they don't get much! And since I didn't have them when they were babies, they will not eat ANYTHING other than their kibble. Trust me, I've tried. I tried the freeze-dried beef liver or chicken treats, I've tried plain (no butter, no salt, no NOTHING) scrambled eggs, raw eggs, raw chicken, boiled chicken, and they will not eat ANYTHING other than their kibble-- it was a LIFE SAVER when they were OK with ferrtone, so I don't have much of a choice in rewarding, unfortunately. :o( If you have any other tips though, I'd be happy to hear them and try them out!

Yeah, I think I am going to use them for when they're out for playtime, because he's actually starting to ruin the flooring where he chooses to use the bathroom, haha! And yeah-- I have gone through and tried quite a few different litters, they seem to enjoy the recycled paper dust-free kinds-- the wood pellets are awful in my opinion, I mean, they're cheap and great for litter but it bugs the hell out of their poor little noses and lungs! 

I can certainly try the litter boxes with the enclosed things- but I do use two very large kitty litter boxes out here for play time, so I don't think size is an issue-- but maybe with the paper litter they are claiming territories. Hm.. thanks for this tip!

As for the nose in the poo thing, that was the last option-- I started just this month as a last resort. I just feel so out of options, you know? But, the puppy pads will have to do, I suppose! 

And thanks for the reply!! :o)
leeandparker

• Total Posts : 70
Re:2 year old ferret still refusing to use a litter box during playtime? - Friday, July 25, 2014 8:39 PM
Trust me I understand.

And switching to a raw diet or trying new things is really hard to do. I've had to do it multiple times with rescues and it takes foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. 

But ya I'd just keep an eye out and when you think he's gonna go pick him up and put him in the box until he's done. A training thing I've had to do before is get a big cardboard box and put a ferret in it(with a litter box) until he or she would go. Then I'd give them some chicken, though they will try to fool you for a treat so I'd always check. 
wenmister
Re:2 year old ferret still refusing to use a litter box during playtime? - Saturday, July 26, 2014 7:59 AM
Member in blocked list
wenmister
Re:2 year old ferret still refusing to use a litter box during playtime? - Saturday, July 26, 2014 8:06 AM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message