Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Heat exhaustion?
pwnedbyfuzzies2

• Total Posts : 30
  • Reward points : 0
Heat exhaustion? - Friday, July 25, 2014 9:10 AM
Hello, i have been on vacation for 11 days and my son took care of my ferrets for the entire time.  Three days ago my A/C unit went kaput and when his girlfriend came by at 1pm found that the house was at 86 degrees.  She quickly took the ferrets out of thier cage and let the dogs outside.  The ferrets she let play in the shower and bathroom where it was 6 degrees cooler but it took 6 hours for the A/C repairman to show up.  The concern i have is of my male Raven, today he is acting weak, wouldn't even eat his Nbone that he normally gobbles up like no tomorrow and when he goes to scratch himself he falls over.  He is not interacting like normal and even though he is alert there's something off.  They have a open dish for water they are unable to tip over so my son's girlfriend said that it was not empty but close though.  She filled it up even though they were outside the cage till the repairman made his repairs.  Is it possible for the ferrets to get heat exhaustion and if so would Raven have the symptoms of something really wrong?  Please advise i'm very concerned and the exotic vet they see is out today.  

Kathy W
bandit99
Re:Heat exhaustion? - Friday, July 25, 2014 10:35 AM
Member in blocked list
leeandparker

• Total Posts : 70
Re:Heat exhaustion? - Friday, July 25, 2014 4:40 PM
Like bandit said get to a vet immediately. Dehydration and heat exhaustion can be very easily fatal for ferrets. They are cold weather creatures and can not regulate heat or pant like dogs to keep cool. The vet will most likely put him on an IV to get his fluid levels up. And just a side note throw out the N-bones. They aren't healthy for them and raw meaty bones do a better job cleaning teeth anyways. 
pwnedbyfuzzies2

• Total Posts : 30
Re:Heat exhaustion? - Saturday, July 26, 2014 3:00 PM
Ok fuzzbutt is doing well. My sons friend had his mom who is an exotic vet come over and check Raven out. He is fine she checked his poop and it was normal and hydration is fine.  Poor little guy did NOT like his blood taken for blood glucose test he was rather upset about it but she soothed him with ferret tone his blood sugar was fine.  (I did not know my sons friends mom was a vet, good to keep her number for emergencies) He is back to his normal self she said the best she could tell was the heat took his energy and since we had water in the cage and his output is fine so just keep him in a cool area.  Which they are in already great spot for them.  We bought a room a/c from brocade just in case this happens again, they will be cooled while we sweat it out which I prefer to having them suffer in heat.  So we are happy and so is raven and I just bought a few more toys to make him feel better but mostly spoiled.
wenmister
Re:Heat exhaustion? - Saturday, July 26, 2014 5:19 PM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages