Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferret bald on the top of the head - Not Adrenal!
danilink

• Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
Ferret bald on the top of the head - Not Adrenal! - Saturday, July 19, 2014 5:36 PM
Hi, my ferret is going bald on the top of her head (actually is already a little bit for two months now), she is almost 7 years old. I took her last week to the vet and it was done a complete blood check up, x-ray and ultrasound on her and everything was normal. For 1 1/2 month we discovered that she has a heart condition, She takes medicine twice a day for the heart. It is not adrenal according to the vet because her blood panel showed everything normal and also the other exams. Does anyone know the reason maybe why she is getting bald? Maybe because of her age? Any suggestions? THanks
bandit99
Re:Ferret bald on the top of the head - Not Adrenal! - Sunday, July 20, 2014 3:55 AM
Member in blocked list
danilink

Re:Ferret bald on the top of the head - Not Adrenal! - Sunday, July 20, 2014 5:25 AM
Hi bandit99!! Thanks for your reply! Where I live in Germany we don`t have Wallmart (unfortunately), I will se if I can find in some drugstore without prescription, because everything here needs prescription. 
Do you know what kind of medical exames should be performed on her in order to find out if it is adrenal or not? Because she did also x-ray and ultrasound and nothing was found (also blood panel).
THanks!!!
Daniella, José and Kuki :) 
danilink

Re:Ferret bald on the top of the head - Not Adrenal! - Sunday, July 20, 2014 5:30 AM
another question: and how much of the Melatonin 3mg should I give her a day? Thanks!
danilink

Re:Ferret bald on the top of the head - Not Adrenal! - Sunday, July 20, 2014 5:31 AM
:)
bandit99
Re:Ferret bald on the top of the head - Not Adrenal! - Monday, July 21, 2014 9:36 AM
Member in blocked list
danilink

Re:Ferret bald on the top of the head - Not Adrenal! - Monday, July 21, 2014 9:49 AM
I see, she has no other clinic signs of Adrenal, only the baldness on top of her head, which is not constant.
Thanks!

unclejoe
Re:Ferret bald on the top of the head - Not Adrenal! - Monday, July 21, 2014 11:23 AM
Member in blocked list
danilink

Re:Ferret bald on the top of the head - Not Adrenal! - Monday, July 21, 2014 11:35 AM
Hi unclejoe,
No, no skin issues that I've noticed.
I asked about it (cancer) and the vet did not seem to have found anything related. I really cannot say if she was looking for it, although I guess she should as Kuki is already almost 7.
I really don't know if I put the pill direct on her bowl of food if she will eat it. I have to give her everyday twice a day 2 medicines for the heart, I've been crushing the pills and mixing with Malt paste / Vitamin paste. She has no problem with that. 

Thanks!
Moparkat

• Total Posts : 3
Re:Ferret bald on the top of the head - Not Adrenal! - Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:44 PM
I learned from this very forum that the hair loss on the top is often called "Friar Tuck" syndrome.  AKA Adrenal.  And the girl I had was 6 when it first started.  The forum was right to steer me to adrenal because we started an implant and her hair came back and we were able to control any vulva swelling early. 
Xrays are very hard to read and really, what do you have to loose by starting Lupron or Melatonin or Deslorin implant?
I will bet she is adrenal.  By starting treatment you will help her live longer.
Sammy's Clubhouse
Spokane Ferret Rescue and Education
danilink

Re:Ferret bald on the top of the head - Not Adrenal! - Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:07 PM
Hi Moparkat!
I will start the Melatolin as soon as possible. Unfortunately I have a lot of problems with german vets as they are very reluctant on doing what they are "told", if it is against what they think. 
We are moving back to Brazil in 3 months then I will be able to communicate with the vet better.
Thanks!
danilink

Re:Ferret bald on the top of the head - Not Adrenal! - Thursday, July 31, 2014 5:09 AM
Hi, me again!
I startad giving Kuki Melatonin once a day. My doubt is: at what time/hour of the day should I give it to her? I read something about 7 hours after the sunrise, around 12:00 - 14:00pm.
But it is a little bit complicated to give the medicine in the middle of the day. What do you think?
Thanks

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages