Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Diet change question; gassy ferrets - ???
jessicaxferties

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
Diet change question; gassy ferrets - ??? - Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:21 PM
Hello!
I have two ferrets and for the longest time they have been fed Marshals and Mazuri kibble.
I began researching the best kibbles and found an awesome food chart that made me never want to feed my ferrets those brands ever again.
I am on limited budget however so the best kibble according to this food chart that was readily available to me and affordable was Zupreem Premium.
My ferrets made the transition rather quickly and really seem to like the Zupreem.
However, my concern is that as soon as they began eating it  the developed gas that could be audibly heard when they went number 2.
I hoped that this was just from the shift in food and that this would go away with time. 
However, it has been about a month and they still have gas. It is not as loud as in the beginning, but they are still gassy in comparrison to when they were eating Marshals/Mazuri.
Also, they're stool is slightly loose. It's not diarrhea, just slightly more wet than it used to be with Marshals/Mazuri.
My ferrets have had no behavior changes and don't seem to feel sick from the gas/slightly wet stool, but I'm still concerned.
Should I continue feeding them Zupreem?
Is the gas and stool change serious?
Thank you so much for any help!
TomHeretic

• Total Posts : 46
Re:Diet change question; gassy ferrets - ??? - Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:53 PM
Since it isn't full on diarrhea I wouldn't worry. Change in stool when changing foods is normal. I think the slightly looser stools are probably causing the farting as well. One of my girls has gas when going number 2 pretty frequently, she also happens to be my only kibble eater. She definitely isn't sick tho, just a few little toots here and there when doing her business! She eats a mix of Nature's Variety Instinct chicken/duck and Orijen cat and kitten. I would stick with the Zupreem and look into mixing in at least 1 more high scoring kibble so you have more options if something comes up. I'm not sure if you noticed but a number of high scoring kibbles on the Moredooks chart are actually cat food and these are ok to feed ferrets too. It doesn't have to be specifically for ferrets.
leeandparker

• Total Posts : 70
Re:Diet change question; gassy ferrets - ??? - Friday, July 25, 2014 4:59 PM
Zupreem is still a horrible food so there will be problems. If you are on a budget you might actually be better off with raw. It is healthier and cheaper on average because they eat what we throw away like organ meat and gizzards.

Now about the gas. Gas is caused when digesting but in an obligate carnivore like a ferret it means that they are not digesting the food properly(bad diet) or eating too quickly due to the kibble being painful on their teeth making them ingest air. There are a couple more reasons but bad diet is the biggest. 
chevynat

• Total Posts : 7
Re:Diet change question; gassy ferrets - ??? - Saturday, July 26, 2014 6:42 PM
I just bought a second ferret that is over weight and the vet put him on a low glucose cat kibble, now I find that his stool is not as big as before and a little mushy, is that normal.
unclejoe
Re:Diet change question; gassy ferrets - ??? - Saturday, July 26, 2014 7:07 PM
Member in blocked list
jessicaxferties

• Total Posts : 3
Re:Diet change question; gassy ferrets - ??? - Saturday, July 26, 2014 10:06 PM
Thank you everyone for your help. (:

leeandparker

Zupreem is still a horrible food so there will be problems. If you are on a budget you might actually be better off with raw. It is healthier and cheaper on average because they eat what we throw away like organ meat and gizzards.

Now about the gas. Gas is caused when digesting but in an obligate carnivore like a ferret it means that they are not digesting the food properly(bad diet) or eating too quickly due to the kibble being painful on their teeth making them ingest air. There are a couple more reasons but bad diet is the biggest. 

Thanks for your input. (:

Maybe it's not the absolute best, but I don't think it's "horrible".
I understand that it may be hard on their teeth and I have always been wary of this with their kibble. With the Mazuri/Marshals mix I  always used to wet it to make it easy for them to eat. However Zupreem pellets don't absorb water readily. The pellets have to soak a long time before becoming mushy so they have been eating it dry. 
They may be ingesting air after all.
However, I don't think the gas could be because of the over all quality... They were eating Mazuri before, and I wish I had been more educated, but in comparison Zupreem is far better quality ingredient wise. They were never gassy before even with the Mazuri.
So I think you may be right. Perhaps it is because the hard pellets are difficult for them to chew.

As far as raw diet, it is something I would look into, but my ferrets have been kibble fed all their life and have never shown any interest in any meats I put in front of them. They won't even to much as sniff it.
How can I transition my ferrets? Is it possible they will be completely reluctant? 

chevynat

• Total Posts : 7
Re:Diet change question; gassy ferrets - ??? - Sunday, July 27, 2014 9:10 PM
my food is, Hill's Prescription diet - m/d Feline weight loss - low carbohydrate- glucose management.
Mama to Sherlock & Watson
TomHeretic

Re:Diet change question; gassy ferrets - ??? - Monday, July 28, 2014 12:34 PM
Kaytee Fiesta mix is a horrible food. Zupreem is very much acceptable. You searched out the food chart and read labels on your own already and that is better than what a lot of people do. Keep trusting your instincts and doing the best that you can. I suggest adding more kibbles to the mix not because Zupreem is bad, but because you never know when it may become unavailable or if the ingredients change your fuzzies may not like it anymore and you don't want to be left scrambling to find something they will eat.
P.S. 3 of my 4 fuzzies have been raw-fed exclusively for almost 2 years and they also get gassy from time to time. It is very much normal and not some health issue. Homer ripped one yesterday while climbing up the couch!
TomHeretic

Re:Diet change question; gassy ferrets - ??? - Monday, July 28, 2014 12:42 PM
If you are interested in switching to raw I can help! I have some tips and tricks that have worked for me as well as other ferrants, just send me a private message and I will gladly answer any questions you might have and help you along the way. I also have a write-up in the raw feeding section that has details about the cost and preparation of the homemade raw that i feed my crew.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread