Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Need advice on food change
jaggirl47

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
Need advice on food change - Thursday, July 17, 2014 4:26 PM
So, we brought our ferret kit home with Marshall's ferret food which is what he has been on. I know that food is horrible so I have started picking up other foods to start adding in and slowly get rid of the Marshall's. The first food I am adding in is Orijen Cat. However, he is eating around it and just eating the Marshall's. He is 9 1/2 weeks so he has 2 bowls currently, 1 moist and 1 dry. I have not yet added the Orijen to his wet because I wanted to be able to see how accepting he was of the dry but will be mixing it in the wet tomorrow. I am also looking at adding in EVO and Wysong Epigen 90 and possibly the Wysong Ferret Archetype. I was recommended to try Merrick as well but I am concerned that their 4-6 listed ingredients consist of potato and peas. So, what is the best way to get them to accept new food? Mine seems awfully picky for being so young. Also, how many different foods should I have them on at one time for proper variety and nutrition?
leeandparker

• Total Posts : 70
Re:Need advice on food change - Friday, July 18, 2014 1:46 PM
Please switch to a raw diet. I can not stress enough how much better it is than kibble. Switching can take some time but it is well worth it. If you need help switching it'd be easiest to run over to the holistic ferret forum. I'm happy to answer any questions you have though:)
jaggirl47

• Total Posts : 4
Re:Need advice on food change - Friday, July 18, 2014 3:36 PM
I just joined over there and applied for the mentor program. I have my shopping list ready and will begin shopping this weekend!
StopFerretAbuse

• Total Posts : 1
Re:Need advice on food change - Monday, July 21, 2014 10:53 AM
I've been advised by the local ferret shelter director and ferret expert that the raw diet is the best option. But I know that isn't feasible for everyone, so the second best option is going with a very high quality, all meat kibble. I recommend the "Wysong Ferret Epigen 90". It's pretty much the best kibble on the market if you're going to go that route. You can order it from the wysong website, but ferret.com has lower shipping costs, at least for me.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread