Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Is there a way i can keep him white?
maddogdodge

• Total Posts : 22
  • Reward points : 0
Is there a way i can keep him white? - Friday, July 11, 2014 5:30 AM
When i adopted my albino ferret (Fred) in January (thats summer where i live), he was pure white. Now (its winter now) he is bright yellow! My female DEW ferret that i adopted at the same time is still white, so is this a male thing? Bathing him doesn't help. Is it seasonal?

I'm not overly fussed about the yellow colour, but he did look nice when he was white.

Whatever colour he is, he's still my gorgeous boy :)
TomHeretic

• Total Posts : 46
Re:Is there a way i can keep him white? - Friday, July 11, 2014 7:39 AM
Do they have a rice dig box? If not try that, the rice absorbs excess oil from their fur. i have a DEW she's a female but she gets a yellow stripe down her back like a little white skunk.
TomHeretic

• Total Posts : 46
Re:Is there a way i can keep him white? - Friday, July 11, 2014 7:43 AM
My boys aren't albino but they have changed colors quite a bit over the years. Homer (far right in my avatar) goes from full mask to brown stripe across the nose with a brown dot on the cheek to almost no stripe as the seasons change.
maddogdodge

Re:Is there a way i can keep him white? - Friday, July 11, 2014 7:51 AM
They don't have a dig box actually, I've thought about getting them one many times but I just haven't got around to it. Maybe i'll give it a go and see what happens :) Thanks!

My past ferret, Minky, changed colour a lot too. She was a normal looking sable kit when i got her at 9 weeks, but by the age of 4 she was silver and white. If she had lived to old age, it wouldn't surprise me if she would have ended up pure white, she just seemed to be getting lighter every year!
wenmister
Re:Is there a way i can keep him white? - Friday, July 11, 2014 12:08 PM
Member in blocked list
maddogdodge

Re:Is there a way i can keep him white? - Friday, July 11, 2014 9:43 PM
wenmister

Is your boy neutered?  What type of food and treats are you giving him?

Yes he is neutered. He is on cat dry food (ferret dry food is very hard to find in Australia, and the few places it is available, its very overpriced). The brand i'm using is very good for ferrets, I was recommended to use it by the ferret club in my state, and all three of my ferrets are doing very well on it. 
He doesn't get very many treats at the moment, however i'm hoping to work at getting them to eat chicken wings/necks. They're not to keen on it at the moment though, haha
wenmister
Re:Is there a way i can keep him white? - Saturday, July 12, 2014 6:40 AM
Member in blocked list
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:Is there a way i can keep him white? - Monday, July 14, 2014 1:27 PM
Mine is like this too. I thought she was a DEW but now she's gray and yellow too so I have no clue what her marking classification is. Mine digs in their 60# rice box a few times a week and shes still yellow, I assume as stated above, that it is a diet issue. I'm fine with it though. She has other less endearing qualities which make the color suiting to her lol. 

maddogdodge

Re:Is there a way i can keep him white? - Monday, July 14, 2014 7:59 PM
Seelen

Mine is like this too. I thought she was a DEW but now she's gray and yellow too so I have no clue what her marking classification is. Mine digs in their 60# rice box a few times a week and shes still yellow, I assume as stated above, that it is a diet issue. I'm fine with it though. She has other less endearing qualities which make the color suiting to her lol. 

Wow, thats a unique change! I've never heard of them getting darker as time goes on! She's very pretty :) My boy's yellow colour is much brighter than your ferret's, but i'm not really fussed by it, as long as he's healthy (which he is) colour doesn't matter to me :)

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread