Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferret Nails breaking off
tristanmac72

• Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points : 0
Ferret Nails breaking off - Friday, June 23, 2017 1:47 PM
Hi All,

My 7 year old ferret was recently diagnosed with Lymphoma, although not actually tested via biopsy.
Was mainly from ultra sound and X-ray detecting areas that could be tumours. Also over the past 2 months he has
developed small pea size lumps under his tummy skin, so assume these are tumours?

We were given prednisolone 1mg tablets to give twice per day, however we decided to only give a 1/2 mg 
and even with that his behaviour and energy levels has decreased quite a lot with hind legs becoming much 
weaker that before meds.

As in the title, he over the past 4-6 weeks, developed yellow coloured nails, and the past few weeks have all (on the back)
broken off down to the 'quick', but not bled. The front are now starting to break off and he is obviously unable to walk very well due to this too.

So a few things i am slightly confused about: 1 - shouldn't the meds actually boost him not bring him down, and 2. what might be causing the nails to completely break off...  the web search cam up with nothing, but we can't be the only ones? 

PS - he did loose a fair bit of weight due to dehydration, so went on a drip for a weekend, but now eats and drinks as normally as ever - but his activity level is way down, so want to know - should we persist with meds?

Thank you

<message edited by tristanmac72 on Friday, June 23, 2017 1:50 PM>
unclejoe
Re:Ferret Nails breaking off - Friday, June 23, 2017 9:45 PM
Member in blocked list
tristanmac72

Re:Ferret Nails breaking off - Saturday, June 24, 2017 6:36 AM
Thanks for your message

Well he just seemed better off it than on,  and has been tested for Adrenal disease and several blood counts. And nothing else showed up.

What would you recommend as a dosage per day ? and would you expect side effect from this really?

Regards

Tristan
<message edited by tristanmac72 on Saturday, June 24, 2017 6:46 AM>
unclejoe
Re:Ferret Nails breaking off - Saturday, June 24, 2017 8:44 AM
Member in blocked list
tristanmac72

Re:Ferret Nails breaking off - Saturday, June 24, 2017 10:09 AM
Hi

Yes full blood counts several times with no sign of anything serious.

It just seems odd as soon as I started giving prednisone, he became strange.

But I will keep it up at 1mg per day to se if it has any positive effect.

Any more advice appreciated :)
unclejoe
Re:Ferret Nails breaking off - Saturday, June 24, 2017 6:23 PM
Member in blocked list
tristanmac72

Re:Ferret Nails breaking off - Sunday, June 25, 2017 8:15 AM
Wow that a huge tumor - my ferrets bumps are like a small pea under his tummy that was shaved for an ultra sound, so easy to see.

I decided to give him 1mg per day from now on to see what happens, the Vet did say that it should be 1mg minimum to have any effect, so giving it  try.

Should I expect some improvement (if your past experience is anything to go by?). usually how many days for any sign of change or not?

he is eating, drinking, and going to the toilet pretty normally though. But not eating as much as before I started Pred. 

He seems to love the bold chicken I give him, so that is his treat and the best ay I find to give his meds crushed and mixed in. I am trying to give after he has eaten a fair bit of dry kibble to ensure his tummy is full.  

Thx!

unclejoe
Re:Ferret Nails breaking off - Tuesday, June 27, 2017 9:54 PM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages