Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Rescues without Medical History
PBandBernie

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
Rescues without Medical History - Tuesday, June 13, 2017 9:35 PM
I rescued two ferrets off of craigslist about 4 weeks ago with no history except for that they are spayed/neutered. Im not even sure of their ages. They're a very friendly, happy and well litter-trained pair, but as time is going on I see that they're not perfectly healthy. Since I'm new to ferret health, I don't know wether to panic or not. 
My female is a very petite albino. She's has some hair loss on the tip of her tail, so I do suspect early adrenal for her. I took her to the vet a few weeks back because I noticed some mucus in her stool and a slight, short-lived rectal prolapse. I told the vet I suspected Proliferative colitis, but she blamed the small piece of cheese I admitted to giving her a few days prior. The vet ran a test for parasites which came back negative so that was it. 
The Problem is that tonight (5 days after) I have the same problem! I came home to find her anus AND vulva swollen and red, with mucus in her stool. The swelling obviously is hurting her, and I cant find answers anywhere online. 

my second question, since Im here, is that my male ferret is now leaving small urine puddles all over the room. There is a litterbox for them to use when outside of the cage, which he used to use very diligently. Sometimes he leaves significant puddles, and sometimes its just dribble. The dribble makes me nervous of some kind of blockage/ adrenal, but it seems to be an act of defiance as well. When I catch him and move him to his litter box, he breaks free and runs back to where he's decided he wants to urinate. Can a neutered ferret be scent marking? do they do that? 

I cannot visit the vet many times, Im a student with low income trying to do my best for rescues. I plan on bringing them in for physicals and melatonin implants in the upcoming weeks.
<message edited by PBandBernie on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 11:06 PM>
bandit99
Re:Rescues without Medical History - Wednesday, June 14, 2017 10:51 PM
Member in blocked list
PBandBernie

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Rescues without Medical History - Saturday, June 17, 2017 2:14 PM
thats what I thought! thanks!

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.