Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Trying to figure out where people get the full sized, non Marshall Ferrets
Joevw007

• Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
Trying to figure out where people get the full sized, non Marshall Ferrets - Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:26 PM
Hi there, I am new to the forums. I currently have one ferret, who is a Marshalls ferret. Hes my second ferret (first one had liver failure at the too young age of 2 years), I would like to get him a playmate soon. I do not want to go through Marshalls anymore, as their ferrets seem to be smaller, have less healthy coats, and honestly seem less trainable then the ones I see online. I love my little guy, but he does not respond to clicker/treat training like other ferrets I see on YouTube. I live in Maryland, USA. Where can I find a larger, healthier, less inbred ferret for my next pet? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Frolicking Ferrets

• Total Posts : 24
Re:Trying to figure out where people get the full sized, non Marshall Ferrets - Thursday, March 23, 2017 7:56 AM
Hi Joeyvw007, how old is your ferret? If he's a kit, he likely won't respond to treats and a clicker at all, he'll be too busy learning his surroundings, what he can get away with and what he can't get away with. It's hard to get a young ferret's attention.
As for not going with another Marshall ferret, try not going for any pet store ferrets because most are Marshall or Pathvalley (another mill bred ferret, but they do have a better reputation than Marshall in some aspects). Go onto Feritage and search for people in your area, any breeders who use Feritage will appear and you can contact them through there.
Joevw007

Re:Trying to figure out where people get the full sized, non Marshall Ferrets - Friday, March 24, 2017 8:42 PM
hey Frolicking Ferrets, He is a little over a year old, definitely a full adult. He does not respond to rewards for going in his litter box like my first ferret did either. I have spent at least 50 hours sitting with him in a room right after he wakes up, waiting for him to have to go, to grab him quickly and put him in his box, praise him, and give him a treat. I then tried it with a clicker. my old ferret picked up on this very quickly and 9/10 times would go in his box. My new ferret (Ive had him for 8 months) will quite literally wait me out for a half hour, as we sit in the bathroom with one of his litter boxes, until I finally get tired of sitting in there with him and let him out, and he will immediately run over and poop/pee somewhere else. Its almost spiteful and I have no idea how to handle his behavior except to sit with him in the bathroom before he can run around, and hope he goes, if he doesnt after so long I either put him back or just let him out. 100% of the time that I do not sit with him in the bathroom, he will not go in any of the 3 litter boxes around the living room, and will poop/pee on the door mats or in the kitchen closet when I am not looking. He is, almost completely un-trainable with a clicker as well. I tried what I saw worked for other people for getting him to come to a clicker, by clicking it and giving him a treat, then moving a little further back, and rinse and repeat. He never seems to correlate the clicker to the treat, because as soon as I try getting out of sight and clicking it, he no longer comes. I will check into Feritage, but I would like to make sure that the ferrets they are using to breed are not just from some pet store, which completely defeats the purpose. I see all sorts of exotic looking ferrets online. Ones that are 3.5-5 lbs, ones that have incredibly thick and long fur, and ones that are highly trainable. My little guy is healthy and happy, but he is just a standard looking, 2.5 lb Marshalls ferret with zero inclination to being trained to do anything but play his heart out. I love him, but I really wanted to train him to do things, he doesnt seem to get the concept.
Joevw007

Re:Trying to figure out where people get the full sized, non Marshall Ferrets - Friday, March 24, 2017 8:58 PM
oh, and why do people always add a "Y" to my username??? Hahaha its almost inevitable that people see it as joey not joe vw007. I like volkswagens.... lol
Frolicking Ferrets

Re:Trying to figure out where people get the full sized, non Marshall Ferrets - Monday, March 27, 2017 6:01 AM
I don't reccomend getting the long haired ferrets that weigh more, angora ferrets are generally bigger but, they have a cleft nose resulting in 4 nostrils, they also don't live as long as a standard ferret and tend to have a few more health issues.
May I ask, what kind of treats are you using? It could be the treats aren't what he likes that could be the reason he doesn't respond.
Joevw007

Re:Trying to figure out where people get the full sized, non Marshall Ferrets - Monday, March 27, 2017 4:45 PM
I use ferretone, he absolutely loves the stuff. I did not know those facts about Angora ferrets, thats good to know, I do not want any more health issues if avoidable.
Frolicking Ferrets

Re:Trying to figure out where people get the full sized, non Marshall Ferrets - Tuesday, March 28, 2017 8:51 AM
Try boiled chicken and break at it up into small pieces and use that as a treat, it's cheaper and healthier than ferretone which isn't actually good for ferrets due to the high sugar in it which can trigger insulinoma. Coconut oil is a good substitute for ferretone and so is salmon oil but coconut oil is a lot cheaper and better for the coat than salmon oil is.
wenmister
Re:Trying to figure out where people get the full sized, non Marshall Ferrets - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 3:56 PM
Member in blocked list
Joevw007

Re:Trying to figure out where people get the full sized, non Marshall Ferrets - Thursday, March 30, 2017 5:21 PM
I have tried giving him boiled chicken before, he is completely uninterested. And as for sugar, I think you are thinking of the vitamin sugar stuff people give to their ferrets. Ferretone is pure fatty oils. I wouldnt give my ferret anything on the regular with sugar as an ingredient. Ingredients of Ferretone are: Soybean oil, Cod Liver oil, Lecithin, Wheat germ oil, vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E supplement, Biotin, Mono and Diglicerides, BHT and Propylaparaben. All oils
<message edited by Joevw007 on Thursday, March 30, 2017 5:25 PM>
Joevw007

Re:Trying to figure out where people get the full sized, non Marshall Ferrets - Thursday, March 30, 2017 5:25 PM
Thanks for the list of breeders, I will see if there are any in my area
unclejoe
Re:Trying to figure out where people get the full sized, non Marshall Ferrets - Friday, April 21, 2017 9:47 PM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message