Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Confused in Italy
jillmarie

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Confused in Italy - Saturday, February 11, 2017 8:50 AM
Hi to everyone- my husband and I live in Italy and we've had ferrets in our lives for 15 years. We took a 4 year break to deal with long distance family issues after Franky, our last ferret passed away. But now we're more than ready to have some ferrets in our lives...it's been lonely!😊 
Things are a little different here in Italy than in the states and we've now learned of chemical castration. I've done a lot of reading up on it on the internet but I would love to hear some American voices before we make some decisions...
(All of our ferrets have come to us as kits and, apart from one female, were already fixed)
The first question is if chemical castration is common usage in the states?
We've adopted an intact male who was implanted a few weeks ago...(he's just turned 11 months) and he's really really aggressive! Both my husband and I are bandaged from finger to elbow and are a bit leery now 🤕
Is this common behavior that will diminish soon? I'm getting all sorts of conflicting info...
And secondly, what about females? is it a chemical implant or i've seen them called yearly jill-jabs?
Though I've read that in England the implant is highly discouraged...
So, is everyone who's not breeding still spaying? or both?
Any info or comments would be great!
Vets close to us aren't used to ferrets so I basically have to go with instructions in hand...
Thanks again!

bandit99
Re:Confused in Italy - Saturday, February 11, 2017 9:44 PM
Member in blocked list
Frolicking Ferrets

• Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Confused in Italy - Monday, February 13, 2017 9:20 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum, having implanted two ferrets in the past instead of neutering and not having any issues with aggression because of it. I don't think it's the implant that's causing the aggression in your hob.
Even entire males that aren't implanted like my own two hobs, aren't aggressive.

How long have you had the ferret? And do you know how he was treated in the past? Because it sounds like he has trust issues with the amount and severity of the biting you've been experiencing.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread