Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Allergies and Recommendations
Arohk

• Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points : 0
Allergies and Recommendations - Monday, January 30, 2017 11:00 PM
Hello! Loki and I are back for a round of advice, if you would be so kind. :)
So, the medical stuff first for people who don't want tl;dr. Loki is allergic to chicken in addition to being a picky eater. So this has created a complication. I have a very short list of foods in kibble form that he can choose from. I have failed my vet-recommended one, which was Royal Canin Hypoallergenic Feline. Loki will not eat a natural diet and he hates wet ingredients, so kibble is the only option. I have pulled the best ones from the current food list and am hoping that he will switch over to one; but if there are any recommendations that someone could make for me besides, that would be so wonderful!
The long of the story is that back in Summer of last year, my now 6 year old ferret Loki had ECE. Someone hadn't washed their hands while playing with ferrets at the pet store and he contracted it, unfortunately. After that, he was very happy and I had semi-recently switched his food to something of higher quality. Which brings us to now. He had been mostly happy on Go! Fit and Free (Chicken/Turkey/Duck) but ever since a few months after his ECE, around December, his poops started to look really bad. This has continued until now. I didn't know why, so I hoped it was a spell. He wasn't showing any other symptoms of anything.
This last month, I noticed Loki becoming exceedingly itchy in addition to the loose, light-colored poop. Frantically. I gave him a bath to see if it would help, but no results. So I assumed the worst, though I should go see about Adrenal, and went to the vet. To my surprise, they found an unsettling mass in his abdomen. I quickly had this checked via ultrasound and a needle aspiration biopsy because I feared the worst of Lymphoma. The results came back that it was indeed a swollen cluster of Lymph nodes, but the expert that had a look at it had noted that with that and the aspiration, there was no Cancerous cells. He noted that it was reactionary. And he recommended a diet change to something that did not include poultry, because he believes that Loki has developed an allergy to chicken. The happy news to this is that of course, no Cancer, but he also said that the view of his Adrenal looks just fine and there is currently nothing to see. I will probably end up treating it anyway soon, since he is older. So don't worry about that!
Bad news for me, because I know what a picky little pickle my ferret is. He is the only ferret I have ever known who hates chicken and eggs unless they are in kibble or processed treat form. He will not eat it. Snubs it completely. I tried from a very young age (3 weeks) and he hated then and he hates it now. The funny story about the food my vet gave us is that not only would he not eat anything that even remotely TOUCHED that food, but when he finally was a good boy and really tried to eat it for me, the poor boy gagged. There is no way he is going to take to it. He tried his best, the little pumpkin. He was starting to lose weight and he literally would not eat it no matter which way I introduced it, so I scratched it from the list. I called my vet today to ask about other options and she recommended that I look for a food he does like. I have since switched his treats to pork and salmon exclusively (which he surprisingly enjoys, he loves the salmon the best) that have no grain or chicken in them. Results so far are as follows.
In addition to having bad poops over the past couple months, I noticed that Loki was maybe not quite as interested in playing. It was a slow progression, so I made sure to rule out old age in my appointment. But the thing about all of this is that as soon as he was off his current food (or wouldn't eat, rather) he stopped itching and was WILD as the day he was born. Literally bouncing off the walls happy and just overall nuts like his normal self. Which makes me think that they hit the nail of the head with his allergy. The change was dramatic and happened within a couple days of his refusal to eat. He is in perfect shape otherwise. Healthy weight, coat, does not have Insulinoma or Adrenal. Unfortunately, I couldn't starve the poor baby, so for today, I have him back on his old food. I have noticed him scratching a little more again, but he is playful. Upside-down in his tunnel asking me to come play as I write this, lol.
I am hoping to find something that he likes. Any advice and recommendations would be so appreciated! My little bum needs a diet change, I think. I would like to find something that he doesn't find gag-worthy (it was kind of hilarious to watch him, I admit) so that he can continue being the happy little guy I know and love. Thanks everyone!
bandit99
Re:Allergies and Recommendations - Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:40 AM
Member in blocked list
Arohk

Re:Allergies and Recommendations - Tuesday, January 31, 2017 8:23 AM
Thank you so much for telling me about the site! I will check it out today and see what I can find! And yes, I tried to introduce it gradually, but he hated it so much that he would not even eat anything that TOUCHED the new food. As in, I could not mix it with his old food, because he would not eat the old food either. I tried to make it smell like his old food by keeping it in the container for a while as well on the side but he was still just as grossed out by it. I tried Ferretone and trying to disguise it with treats. I think he just really hates it.
TomHeretic

• Total Posts : 46
Re:Allergies and Recommendations - Thursday, February 02, 2017 3:27 PM
I feed raw but I have a kibble eater who refuses wet ingredients as well. I noticed your little guy likes his salmon treats, have you considered a fish based kibble? Orijen 6 fish is one of my main go-to kibbles for the ferret as well as my cat, they love it! Orijen is a little pricey but the quality is top notch.
Arohk

Re:Allergies and Recommendations - Thursday, February 02, 2017 10:22 PM
I did consider it! I looked to the website that Bandit gave me and had a list of food compiled on my own as well and took a trip to the market the day after I posted this. Thank you for recommending it, Tom! Funnily enough, I DID get Orijen. But I got the Orijen Regional Red Cat for him! I was worried he wouldn't take because it has no poultry at all.
I am SO proud to say, though, that for the first time today as I have slowly introduced it to him, Loki ate a bunch! When I first introduced it, he only took a single piece from my hand and ate it and that was that. But one day in, he is now happily eating his food, I am happy to report!! Thank you, everyone! May all your fuzzies stay happy and healthy this year! :)
bandit99
Re:Allergies and Recommendations - Saturday, February 11, 2017 9:49 PM
Member in blocked list
Arohk

Re:Allergies and Recommendations - Saturday, February 11, 2017 10:29 PM
Me too! He even put back on the weight he had lost and is eating normally now a week and some after being put on it! I am thrilled. Definitely a good food- his poops are better than maybe I have ever seen him too! I wonder if he has always had that chicken allergy.
bandit99
Re:Allergies and Recommendations - Monday, February 13, 2017 3:52 PM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages