Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Worried about my 5 yr old boy weight loss, diarrhea remedies?
weaselby

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
Worried about my 5 yr old boy weight loss, diarrhea remedies? - Monday, January 18, 2016 2:30 PM
My oldest, Chester is going on 6 this year and recently he's lost a lot of weight :(
He has had bad diarrhea for about month that almost shoots out of his poor butt but I was hoping it would pass but now its causing him to lose weight. He is still eating and drinking fine and has lots of energy but I am really concerned about him, he's been pretty chubby the last year or so and last week I noticed how small he is! He's gotten skinnier than my 3 year old girl and today it broke my heart when I could see his ribs and noticed how light he was when I picked him up :(
the poop appears to be a regular colour maybe a little light.
I think the weight loss is just due to the frequency of his poops, 
Does anyone know any diarrhea remedies? I'm going to make him some duck soup today and go buy some food with a higher protein/fat content to mix in with their regular diet. I'd like to try as much as I can before I have to take him to the vet.

Thank you so much

<message edited by weaselby on Monday, January 18, 2016 6:22 PM>

weaselby

Re:Worried about my 5 yr old boy weight loss, diarrhea remedies? - Monday, January 18, 2016 6:28 PM
So I went and bought some wet cat food to add to duck soup and also some pumpkin that will hopefully help with his poops, thoroughly cleaned their cage and started mixing in some higher protein food to their regular diet. I also gave him some hairball remedy in case he has a blockage (now that I think about it he has been getting into all sorts of things over the last couple months) 
Any other ideas would be appreciated!

raml

• Total Posts : 100
Re:Worried about my 5 yr old boy weight loss, diarrhea remedies? - Tuesday, January 19, 2016 3:33 AM
I would take him to a vet and make sure all is ok with him. Whenever my ferrets lost a lot of weight it was usually lymphoma or insulinoma. I don't want to scare you but there is a reason for the loose stools they do not just happen when your ferret is eating the same food he always has. Hopefully it is a less scary reason but you need to make sure for your own sense of what is going on. My ferrets play and act normal even when they get these cancers they play and try to act normal right to the end they just loose weight and that is usually about the only sign at first. I have had 45 ferrets in my lifetime and have had every kind of sickness they can get and I still always take them to the vet to make sure of what is wrong with them I don't guess.
weaselby

Re:Worried about my 5 yr old boy weight loss, diarrhea remedies? - Tuesday, January 19, 2016 2:11 PM
I think you're right :(
I'm also now noticing hair loss and behavioural changes (hyper-active almost manic and increased aggression with toys and treats) 
 praying its not adrenal or something worse, I'll keep you updated

unclejoe
Re:Worried about my 5 yr old boy weight loss, diarrhea remedies? - Tuesday, January 19, 2016 7:16 PM
Member in blocked list
weaselby

Re:Worried about my 5 yr old boy weight loss, diarrhea remedies? - Wednesday, January 20, 2016 11:56 AM
I realized this as well once I was being honest with myself about his other symptoms and behaviour changes. We went to the vet yesterday and she is suspecting insulinoma, he is booked in for a blood test to have his BG checked. I'll let you know how t goes 

Meechysmum92

• Total Posts : 107
Re:Worried about my 5 yr old boy weight loss, diarrhea remedies? - Wednesday, January 20, 2016 7:09 PM
Sorry to hear about the situation you are in! Weight loss and diarrhea were the early indicators that lead me to take my boy to the vet, and they found out he had an foreign body obstruction and needed emergency surgery, so weight loss and/or diarrhea is nothing to be taken lightly in ferrets. I think taking him to the vet was a good call. Keep us updated and good luck!
unclejoe
Re:Worried about my 5 yr old boy weight loss, diarrhea remedies? - Saturday, January 23, 2016 1:44 PM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message