Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Housing males together
feygan

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Housing males together - Friday, October 02, 2015 10:57 AM
Wondering if anyone can speak from personal experience of the following and the results. Currently four ferrets, 3 females and 1 male and the male has been vasectomised so his main purpose is bringing the females out of season (I understand I can simply get them jabbed but this is my prefered way of having them and will not be changing). Currently all four have the run of about half the house and they are never seperated, and for 3 years this has worked just fine. Took in a male a couple of days ago as a temporary home to see if his owners could be found, and if not then the possibility of keeping him is there. He seems to have no issues and looks healthy enough, in addition he has been castrated at some point in the past. I am well aware of the dangers of keeping males together during the breeding season, but not too sure how it would work with a combination of intact and neutered males. I would imagine there will be the usual aggression to begin with to establish the dominance order, but what then? Will my own male be likely to constantly see this new male as a threat when in season even though the new male will not be giving off any of the typical in season signals. Or will he be treated more like an adolescent male or even just ignored totally? Has anyone ever kept males together when there has been a combination of both intact and neutered males, and if so what was the general outcome?
wenmister
Re:Housing males together - Friday, October 02, 2015 1:46 PM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages