Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Disseminated Idiopathic Myositis
Stacey_B

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
Disseminated Idiopathic Myositis - Friday, August 14, 2015 9:43 AM
My youngest fuzzy was just diagnosed with DIM. He's been sick for months and is starting to look and act better after many many rounds of antibiotics (as we thought he had an infection), but his blood work suggests that he's actually at his worst. His appetite is fairly good but no matter what he can't keep weight on. Has anyone had their ferrets on Chemo, or specifically the drugs prednisone, chloramphenicol and cyclophosphamide? I've heard the affects of these can be worse than what he's already going through and he still only has, at best, a 20% chance of survival. Most ferrets only survive months with DIM it seems, and he's already at that. Our vet is amazing and she's applied for assistance for the treatment but our family is wondering what's really best for him. Any advice, thoughts, suggestions are greatly appreciated. 
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Disseminated Idiopathic Myositis - Wednesday, August 19, 2015 12:40 AM
I have no ferret advice in terms of personal experience, but in the past with all other pets I let them fight until they're done fighting. No one knows your pet as well as you do - if he's up for it and still in good spirits and has the will to live then support him in that. If it gets to the point that it's time for him to go I feel that they let you know in their own way.

Perhaps it's time to try to get some weight back on with soupy.

Best wishes for you and your family

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message