Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferret and I moving in with a cat and the ferret doesn't like other animals
RebeccaJeanBean

• Total Posts : 19
  • Reward points : 0
Ferret and I moving in with a cat and the ferret doesn't like other animals - Saturday, November 04, 2017 11:08 PM
My ferret Bandit and I are moving in with my boyfriend and his cat before the end of the year. Bandit does not like other ferrets or animals (he will attack or circle them while hissing, which he did when he met my family's cat, who just entered the room and sat down). Bandit and I are very bonded since he likes to be an only child and he requires a lot of babying and attention. For example, he loves to be cradled while I kiss and sweet talk him.
My boyfriend Derek doesn't want Bandit to live in the bedroom with us, and Bandit has always lived in my bedroom with me. I know ferrets do not do well in a secluded part of the house, and based on his temperment and needs, I think he would do best in a room where we would be hanging out in a lot. I'm thinking the living room would be another good option, but I'm horrified thinking of a reclining chair accident.

I'm thinking before the four of us move in together, I could start bringing Bandit over Derek's place to start introducing Bandit and Billy. I would probably just start with Bandit being in my arms while they say hello (and lots of praise), and hopefully eventually let them loose together. I would prefer to bring Bandit over Derek's place because Bandit is very territorial if another animal comes into his space. Billy is a very very sweet young cat who I think would play well with Bandit by the way. I think Bandit is going to be the one who has issues with Billy.

I moved out to MI and my family is in MA, and Derek has looked after Bandit each time I've visited home and Derek couldn't accompany me. So Bandit is familiar with Derek and is very friendly with him. Bandit will not hesitate to curl up in Derek's hoodie if Derek tosses it on the bed. In the past, Bandit has been very friendly and willing to play with any new human he meets. His issues just lie with other animals. I adopted Bandit from a shelter a few years back and don't know anything about his past. Maybe he's been threatened by other animals.

Any advice is much appreciated. Moving is stressful enough and Bandit is my world. I really don't want him to be stressed out either.
bandit99
Re:Ferret and I moving in with a cat and the ferret doesn't like other animals - Sunday, November 05, 2017 7:02 AM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:Ferret and I moving in with a cat and the ferret doesn't like other animals - Friday, November 17, 2017 8:36 PM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message