Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 My ferret and I need your help!
Tia

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
My ferret and I need your help! - Thursday, June 18, 2015 1:39 AM
Hi, I've never owned a ferret before but I've done a TON of research, and my friend (and neighbour) has three of them, that are always around. I just got my first ferret tonight, and she has some issues... I knew this when I bought her and the weeks ahead that I've been talking to her previous owner, but I need some true expert advice here. 
She is 3 years old... last year a box was dropped on top of her, and she has limited use of her back end. Her actual legs work totally fine, but it's like her mid section of her spine is paralyzed. She can climb and walk on fabric, but hardwood and concrete give her troubles, and even when walking on fabric she falls over a lot, just onto her side. She doesnt seem to be in pain at all, and shes learned to deal with this completely (just flips onto her back and uses her front momentum to push herself back upright when she falls) but I want to make her life as easy as possible, while still being able to do things with her and give her an exciting life outside of her cage. Does anyone have any advice for this, or has anyone seen this type of injury before??
Also, my second big concern with her is that she's TINY. Her previous owner took her to the vet last year and she weighed in at 0.9 pounds. I can feel each and every one of her bones and I'm scared that she's too brittle and will hurt herself. Is there any way I can get her to gain weight? Or muscle? As of right now she eats ferret food, and has a couple supplements (ferret vitamin stuff) that I've read are not good, so I dont know if I want to give her that...I've been told she's very picky, so please help! I'm reading everything I can and still doing lots of research to try to figure this out too, but any help would be very much appreciated!! 
Thanks in advance!!
bandit99
Re:My ferret and I need your help! - Thursday, June 18, 2015 3:26 AM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:My ferret and I need your help! - Thursday, June 18, 2015 9:27 AM
Member in blocked list
Tia

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
Re:My ferret and I need your help! - Thursday, June 18, 2015 10:52 AM
She is eating Marshals Premium Ferret food, and a tiny bit of 8-1 Ultimate chewy things... she doesn't like that very much though and kind of eats around it. I haven't taken her to a vet yet as I only got her last night, but I will definitely ask her previous owner when her last visit was. 
Thanks for the help on food, I will definetely try that!

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread