Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferrets and dogs?
courtneyleland

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
Ferrets and dogs? - Thursday, June 04, 2015 3:22 PM
Hello,
I'm interested in getting a pet ferret and I understand from what I read that some ferrets get along with dogs and other ferrets don't. I have a very small dog, not much bigger than an adult ferret. She's been around some birds and rabbits and was very interested in them but not aggressive. Is there anything I can do when selecting a ferret to increase the likelihood of getting one that gets along with my dog? And when I do get a ferret how should I go about introducing them to each other? Any other dos/dont's or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
unclejoe
Re:Ferrets and dogs? - Thursday, June 04, 2015 6:58 PM
Member in blocked list
JessLough

• Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Ferrets and dogs? - Saturday, June 27, 2015 11:08 AM
Usually, the issue is the dog instead of the ferret.  You can train your dog to leave your ferret alone, although the big part of it is very slow introductions, and never leave the two together when not supervised.

Some odd cases, ferrets can be terrified of dogs.  Basically, you want to look for a ferret that is outgoing, and doesn't seem to scare all that easily. When they DO scare, you want them to quickly bounce back from it, not stay away for an extended period of time.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread