Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Adrenal Gland Disease
Silverwolf

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Adrenal Gland Disease - Saturday, April 11, 2015 5:11 PM
I strongly suspect my female ferret, Cuddles, has Adrenal Gland disease. Starting last year, she has lost most of the hair on her tail. She also drinks her own pee, which I looked up and is a sign of Adrenal Gland disease. She is 8 years old. Since she is so old, she also has other issues that can either be from the disease or just be because she's old. Her hair all over her body has thinned(Though no bald spots other than her tail), she has bad cataracts, all of her canine teeth are broken(One is just a nub), she has less energy, and she has lost her ability to use her litter pan. Before last year, she never pooped outside of her litter pan. She might have lost a bit of weight too. It's hard for me to tell because she's an exceptionally small ferret and has never weighed much. She also has this odd bubble(Or abscess?) on the very tip of her tail. The bubble formed a few months ago and is hard too. Should I attempt to drain it or leave it be? Although I strongly suspect Adrenal Gland disease, I won't be taking her to the vet. With this disease, I have two options. Euthanasia or surgery. Cuddles is a very small female(Always has been) and because of that and her age, I know she won't make it through surgery. I don't want to euthanize her as long as she still has some quality of life, which she does still have despite her issues. When she stops getting excited when I let her out of her cage, I'll know it's time. Which brings me to why I made this thread. I love my ferret very much and I want her to be as comfortable as possible. I feed her the best ferret food that's available and I mix it with water to help her chew as well as I add in FerreTone to help her with her hair loss. I moved her out of her big, multileveled cage and into a small cage because her cataracts were making it hard for her to climb. I give her purified water as well. Is there anything else I can do to make life easier on her?
wenmister
Re:Adrenal Gland Disease - Saturday, April 11, 2015 5:50 PM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:Adrenal Gland Disease - Saturday, April 11, 2015 8:30 PM
Member in blocked list
bandit99
Re:Adrenal Gland Disease - Sunday, April 12, 2015 1:16 AM
Member in blocked list
fuzzyferngulley

• Total Posts : 39
Re:Adrenal Gland Disease - Sunday, April 12, 2015 11:27 PM
My Ferngulley has adrenal disease also. He is 3 1/2 yrs old. I got him from a rrescue. He had been on the melatonin implant. Which did make him grow back his fur. Bit he still had days where he was less active and weight /muscle loss. We have just tried the Lupron injection.  He seems more active and generally feels better. I am pursing adrenal surgery on him. My question for some of you that have answered that surgery is not recommended,  can I get more clarity / info about it. Will I be doing the surgery for nothing?  I know it can come back in the other adrenal.i just don't know much about adrenal disease in ferrets. Thanks
Current fuzzies: Ferngulley , Clementine, Clyde , Casper, Rose

Plus: 6 rats, 4 cats, 3 dogs, 2 turtles

fuzzyferngulley

• Total Posts : 39
Re:Adrenal Gland Disease - Sunday, April 12, 2015 11:30 PM
Sorry, silver wolf,  didn't mean to bury in with more questions. Just thought I'd ask while on the subject 😊
Current fuzzies: Ferngulley , Clementine, Clyde , Casper, Rose

Plus: 6 rats, 4 cats, 3 dogs, 2 turtles

bandit99
Re:Adrenal Gland Disease - Monday, April 13, 2015 7:24 AM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages