Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferrets and cats? Anyone have some that like each other?
ZombieSlayerChick

• Total Posts : 49
  • Reward points : 0
Ferrets and cats? Anyone have some that like each other? - Monday, February 09, 2015 4:52 PM
I just got a kitten, an as of right now she'll be mainly a outside cat but in the next few years when I get married and such they will most likely be a inside cat, softest cat EVER! And sweet too, I interduced her(Ender) to Latte first while she was sleepy, she did fine and I just let them get to know each other, then I brought out Shasta, they're all under 5 months old, and so far seem to get along great, Ender is  playing with them and Shasta seems to love playing with her! Jumping around and dooking, not afraid or anxious, neither is Latte ( but she's just kinda ignoring her a bit cause other thins are more interesting) the cats just lightly batting at the ferrets and rolling around, and licking their ears, and the ferrets where liking the cat too... So I'm curious if anyone has ferrets an cat who like each other?
First time ferrent =)
Weezlemum

• Total Posts : 29
Re:Ferrets and cats? Anyone have some that like each other? - Monday, February 09, 2015 6:50 PM
I have 2 cats.  Sylvester (soon to be 14) does not like the ferrets nor does she like my other cat or any other 4-legger.  But Abbott who is 12 does, she doesn't know a stranger fur or skin. :)  She does get upset with them for biting her belly and ears though
Jfranks85

• Total Posts : 117
Re:Ferrets and cats? Anyone have some that like each other? - Friday, February 13, 2015 6:43 AM
I have 2 ferrets right now and a very large, fat 4yr old cat. It took Spunky a while to warm up to the boys, almost a year actually, but now they all get along great. I've also had ferrets raised with a sheltie collie in the past and the dog treated the ferrets like her own kids.
leeandparker

• Total Posts : 70
Re:Ferrets and cats? Anyone have some that like each other? - Wednesday, March 11, 2015 8:54 PM
Our cat loves our ferrets. They even eat the same raw diet, so it really saves some prep time. Ferrets are just kinda like cat snakes, so most I've seen get along but just like any animal it's their own personal preference. 
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:Ferrets and cats? Anyone have some that like each other? - Wednesday, April 08, 2015 11:56 AM
Depends on the cat and the ferret. My one cat hates them and the other loves to play with them, neither sleep near them.

Personally, I would be weary of having a cat be an outside cat then bringing it inside and expecting it not to want to possibly kill the ferrets. My moms cat is outside and when I visit I can't be trusting of her because she spends her time killing small animals and birds outside. She is well fed insite but enjoys the thrill of the hunt. Im sure there are exceptions but I personally would not make the kitten be an outside kitten for a few years, I would keep her in or not get a cat yet. Best of luck.
wacferret

• Total Posts : 92
Re:Ferrets and cats? Anyone have some that like each other? - Wednesday, April 08, 2015 7:15 PM
We don't have any cats (dogs, ferrets, turtle, fish but no kitty, mom-in-law is allergic or we would have 1 of them too) BUT I do agree with Seelen, be VERY wary of an outdoor kitty. Outside they have a different life than an indoor cat. They have to fight, flee from predators, and HUNT. All cat instincts but when they are used every day for survival it may be hard to differentiate between family member (ferrets) and food. Ferrets are just the right size prey item for a cat. Right now she is just a kitten and may not hunt or hurt them but after some time outside that demeanor may change and you won't know until it is too late. If you can keep the cat inside it will probably be best for all as she will learn to live/play with and probably love her ferret brothers/sisters. good luck
ZombieSlayerChick

• Total Posts : 49
Re:Ferrets and cats? Anyone have some that like each other? - Wednesday, April 08, 2015 8:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies. She is actually 9 months old now, and she has a genetic thing where she stays quite small for a cat, she is all FLUFF lol Everyday she comes in to snuggle quite often and stays in my room a lot ( what I can stand anyway, I'm allergic) she has gotten used to my ferrets and isn't much of a hunter, she was carrying a louse around like it was her kitten by the scruff, then let it go and it darted into a bush, and once I walked into the tack room and there was mouse sitting next to her in her basket -.- and also she is fed morning and night and at night she is pinned up... Just a few factors. But I would of course never trust her loose alone with my babies! I loves them <3

This is Ender and my new baby Koda meeting for the first time, he gave her kisses :)

First time ferrent =)
wacferret

• Total Posts : 92
Re:Ferrets and cats? Anyone have some that like each other? - Monday, April 13, 2015 7:16 PM
You are there to see it and therefore are the best to judge. every animal is unique and needs to be assessed in its own rite

You could have some really good friends in the making, they look adorable together.

I wish my ferrets would be nice to my dogs, it would be awesome to see them cuddled together. It is funny watching a 3 lb ferret terrorize a 60lb collie and a 30lb mutt. Pirate rules the 7 carpets in our house.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread