Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 The Feral Weasel
crisp20

• Total Posts : 216
  • Reward points : 0
The Feral Weasel - Sunday, April 05, 2015 1:31 PM
Does a raw diet, make your ferret grow bigger? I got my New ferret at 6-8 weeks, and have been feeding him a raw diet consisting of mealworms, thawed frozen mice, raw eggs, ground beef/pork/turkey/chicken, cuts of meat. He is ridiculously big (biggest ferret I have ever had) at only 4 months old. This will be the first ferret I am raising on an exclusively raw diet. ( I am trying to convert my older ones as well) I will see how big he gets after a year, I am really excited for this one!
wenmister
Re:The Feral Weasel - Sunday, April 05, 2015 4:01 PM
Member in blocked list
TomHeretic

• Total Posts : 46
Re:The Feral Weasel - Monday, April 06, 2015 11:53 AM
I've read that feeding a carnivore raw from baby to adult will help them grow more gradually over a longer period of time. I know I read about it in dogs from raw feeding breeders and I believe Bob Church mentioned it in reference to raw fed ferrets. I don't know if this is abnormal or not because I have only raised 1 from baby to adult, but my oldest has been raw fed for most of her life and she has grown very noticeably in the last 6 months, but she will be 4 in August. I thought she was done growing about a year ago then... boom, longer from nose to tail and her first significant weight gain. 
leeandparker

• Total Posts : 70
Re:The Feral Weasel - Sunday, April 12, 2015 5:18 PM
Yes feeding a raw diet does actually lead to ferrets being a larger size. Ferret kibble only has a fraction of the nutrients that a raw diet does. Ferrets can't break down the starches in kibble whereas all the fat and muscle consumed with a raw diet can be perfectly turned into energy and muscle leading to a healthier ferret. A kibble ferret is almost malnourished compared to one on a raw diet. Kibble is like eating cherrios with multivitamins every day. You will survive but it isn't as healthy as a good meaty diet. I rescue ferrets and convert all of them to raw and the difference is breath taking.

Yes the first year of a ferrets life is when they are biggest but still raw feeding helps them get a healthier weight. You don't need the worms, and I'd head over to the holistic forum because you can very easily get a nutrient deficiency on an improper raw diet like just feeding muscle meat without bones, skin, liver, heart, and other organ meats. 

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread