Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
Wild baby weasel in our live mouse trap- need advice
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 39
Specialk

• Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
Wild baby weasel in our live mouse trap- need advice - Tuesday, February 17, 2015 10:20 PM
We live in the country in Nebraska and several days ago my husband heard this squeaking from our live mouse trap outside our garage. He dumped the contents in a bucket and told me we caught a ground squirrel. I take a look in the bucket and I couldn't believe it, the little guy looks just like a baby ferret. I had ferrets about 10 years ago. In fact he doesn't even care to try and escape, he just curls up and goes to sleep. I bring the bucket inside, get the little guy some water which he drinks a lot of, poor thing was dehydrated and starving. I feed him some ground turkey and some raw chicken which he happily eats. I start researching online and this animal looks like a Least Weasel. It's kind of a miniature ferret. I have lived in Nebraska all my life and only once seen a wild ferret and have never seen a weasel. Long story, short...he is eating like crazy. He is too young to survive without his mom outside. It's winter here, not sure how he even survived this long, according to the web, weasels are born in the spring and have to be adult size by winter to make it through. Not sure what to do with him now...do I keep him until spring then release him and hope he makes it? Will he be too tame by then (he is super friendly and playful)? I feel like he is a wild animal and should stay that way, but then again their life expectancy in the wild is only about a year, so that seems kind of cruel too. He is really liking the maid service here, play time, and sleeping in a fleece blanket. By the way, he acts exactly like a domesticated ferret, same mannerisms, bathroom habits, war dance. He is just much smaller and faster than any ferret. He is brown with a white underbelly and paws. Short tail and his tail is not black like a wild ferret. If you look at videos on youtube, search for Ozzy the weasel, that is exactly what he looks like. And of course I can't get photos uploaded. I will fix this...pics coming shortly. Any ideas...it says file uploaded failed.
raml

• Total Posts : 100
Re:Wild baby weasel in our live mouse trap- need advice - Wednesday, February 18, 2015 12:00 AM
Look up stoat on the internet maybe that is what he is there are pictures of them and you can compare them. What you describe sounded like a stoat to me which is a member of the weasel family but are smaller than a ferret and have a shorter tail. I can't tell you what to do with him whether to keep him inside or let him loose but if he is a stoat you can read about them online and maybe that will let you know what to do with him.
unclejoe
Re:Wild baby weasel in our live mouse trap- need advice - Wednesday, February 18, 2015 9:34 AM
Member in blocked list
wenmister
Re:Wild baby weasel in our live mouse trap- need advice - Wednesday, February 18, 2015 1:21 PM
Member in blocked list
Specialk

video link of rescued wild baby weasel - Wednesday, February 18, 2015 8:08 PM
Hi, https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvm1vbcxz2u2a51/2015-02-16%2021.03.11.mov?dl=0 I have tried numerous ways to get this video off my phone. I was finally able to get it downloaded into dropbox. This is the wild weasel that we rescued from a live mouse trap. He is super tiny. At first I was handling him with gloves, but he was not attempting to attack in any way. Now I have been holding him and he is super friendly. If you think keeping track of a ferret is difficult, this guy is crazy. He has the curiosity of a ferret but can fit anywhere including walking right under closed doors. If you didn't see his whole body and just his head you would think you were looking at a mouse. I saw the posts on him possibly be a Stout. He does look like one, but he is too small and they are not in Nebraska. I still think he is a Least Weasel. They look like Stouts only smaller. I don't know I give this guy up. He is the most adorable thing. He is trying to help me type right now.
Specialk

Re:video link of rescued wild baby weasel - Wednesday, February 18, 2015 8:36 PM
differences I have noticed from a domesticated ferret The little weasel stinks. Granted all the ferrets I had in the past were all descented. This little guy smells worse than all three of my ferrets combined. He has very tiny little nails and he has a lot more grip. His nails are more like a sugar gliders. He can run right up my pant leg or hang off the side of my shirt. He is more expressive with his tail. He wags his tail a lot. Especially if he is wrestling with something and is going to attack something, then his little tail goes crazy. But he is not very vocal at all. I have only heard him make a noise once.
raml

• Total Posts : 100
Re:video link of rescued wild baby weasel - Wednesday, February 18, 2015 11:53 PM
He is adorable I know I would have a hard time letting him go. He does look real small. Lots of luck with him what ever you do.
wenmister
Re:video link of rescued wild baby weasel - Thursday, February 19, 2015 6:53 AM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:video link of rescued wild baby weasel - Thursday, February 19, 2015 10:20 AM
Member in blocked list
wenmister
Re:Wild baby weasel in our live mouse trap- need advice - Thursday, February 19, 2015 1:42 PM
Member in blocked list
Dar24

Re:video link of rescued wild baby weasel - Thursday, February 19, 2015 3:10 PM
- [This post was marked as helpful]
He/She is sooooo stinking cute.. I would have a hard time letting him/her go.. It seems very well adjusted to being in captivity.  It is really up to you whether you want to keep it or not.. but if you are gonna choose to free it.. you may wanna restrict your interaction with it.. If it learns to trust humans.. It may encounter danger from not so nice animal lovers as yourself.. But if you choose to give him/her a home,, I think it is just the cutest thing.. Better find out if there are any vets in your area that will treat him/her in your area in the event you  need medical help for it.. Man I think you are so  lucky to be able to experience such a unique critter.. I am a bit envious..  Envious enough to post on this site after maybe 2-3 years of lurking..lol  Thank you for sharing the video made my day.. :)

wenmister
Re:video link of rescued wild baby weasel - Thursday, February 19, 2015 4:12 PM
Member in blocked list
Specialk

Re:Wild baby weasel in our live mouse trap- need advice - Thursday, February 19, 2015 10:37 PM
The little weasel loves to play with paper towels. https://www.dropbox.com/s/rr82vndsrxqohcq/2015-02-17%2019.00.04.mov?dl=0
Specialk

Re:Wild baby weasel in our live mouse trap- need advice - Thursday, February 19, 2015 10:39 PM
Thank you so much for the information.
Dar24

Re:Wild baby weasel in our live mouse trap- need advice - Friday, February 20, 2015 12:14 PM
This little guy is so fascinating.. So quick.. I don't know how you keep up with him.. Did I miss that it is a he?? Love the video clips keep em coming... 

Did you decide whether you are gonna keep him or not yet??

Specialk

Re:Wild baby weasel in our live mouse trap- need advice - Friday, February 20, 2015 12:55 PM
Thanks.  I am so glad other people are as interested in the weasel as I am.

Food questions. I know, is usually a debated topic on a site like this, but it's been 10 years since I had a ferret and bought ferret food.  I have been feeding it ground turkey and raw chicken.  I tried ground beef, chicken gizzards, and eggs, not very interested.

I thought if I could supplement with a dry food it could be something I could provide him outside when he is released.  I am thinking of either getting him a way he can get out of the house and come and go as it pleases or building it some kind of house outside that he can hide in and keep food and water for him there, this would once spring gets here.

I need a high quality food that has small kibble size as he is very small.  Suggestions...not worried about cost.

Not sure what sex it is yet?  I hope to find out when I get a good look.
Dar24

Re:Wild baby weasel in our live mouse trap- need advice - Friday, February 20, 2015 1:47 PM
Food is highly debated subject you can pick and choose what you feel comfortable with.. We feed three different kinds of Kibble as a mixture Zupreem, Dr Foster and Smith brand Ferret Food and Pretty Pets Natural gold.. We try to stay away from corn and peas in our food.. 

I like the Natural Gold cause its completely grain free and has two different types of proteins in it.. And it also has very small pellets.. May be a choice for your little guy if you so choose..

Here is the link to it.. I think Dr Foster and Smith has the cheapest prices for food at the moment.. Browse that site for choices.. 

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6067+10381+11256+17557&pcatid=17557

The DFS brand ferret food is small too.. but the Natural gold is by far the smallest in what we use.. 

Dar24

Re:Wild baby weasel in our live mouse trap- need advice - Friday, February 20, 2015 2:00 PM
This is another option that many who feed raw choose.. Stella and Chewys..Its a very good brand food and it comes like in small patties and you can break them up into tiny pieces or soak it and make into a soup. 

We don't use it yet cause of finances but plan on switching to it in the future.. Someone else more experienced can tell you with ones are good for ferrets.. I know some dog and some cat ones are great for ferrets.. I can tell you our guys love it as a treat in soups.. they won't eat it just dry.. 

But take a look maybe you would prefer this type of food..

http://www.stellaandchewys.com/index.php

There are cheaper places to buy it,, but since we don't buy it yet,, someone else will have to advise you on where to get it for the best price.. 

Good luck,, happy hunting.. 

wenmister
Re:Wild baby weasel in our live mouse trap- need advice - Friday, February 20, 2015 2:27 PM
Member in blocked list
Specialk

Re:Wild baby weasel in our live mouse trap- need advice - Tuesday, February 24, 2015 10:48 PM
I agree raw would be best. I am sticking with meat which the little weasel has no problem eating. Not sure where to get rabbit or some mice. Any good options? I found mypetcarnivore.com does anyone have experience with them?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 39

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message