Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Adopted two 3yo ferrets from shelter, and quite honestly they are boring.
fuerytes

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
Adopted two 3yo ferrets from shelter, and quite honestly they are boring. - Sunday, December 28, 2014 10:34 AM
These two ferrets are sweet and beautiful, but they aren't what I was expecting when I chose to get ferrets. They're not very playful, and seem generally disinterested in everything. They're two runts, one boy and one girl. They were sold as a bonded pair, but they hardly do anything together. They ignore me and ignore each other. They walk around a lot, but they don't play at all. Not even with each other. I let them free-roam, and they walk around the room for about an hour and then go back to sleep. While they do stare at me sometimes, I can never manage to engage them in play. I don't think they're ill or there's anything wrong with them, but I don't feel like we're bonding to each other and I don't know what to do. The shelter owner said I'm free to bring them back, but I feel really bad about considering that. At the same time, I'm afraid to spend the next few years taking care of ferrets that I'm not really bonding with. Someone told me I should have bought a baby one at a pet store. I wanted to support local shelters and help ferrets without homes, but... I guess I just didn't get lucky with the ones I found. Also, pet store ferrets are around $150 each, which is more than double what I paid at the shelter. That may be normal, but I am on a tight budget and I wasn't planning on getting an expensive one (I don't know if I can or should ask for my money back at the shelter if I return them).
fuzzyferngulley

• Total Posts : 39
Re:Adopted two 3yo ferrets from shelter, and quite honestly they are boring. - Sunday, December 28, 2014 12:15 PM
This is my first time owning ferrets but IMO,  they are 3 yrs. Old. Which means they are considered older ferrets. Mine range from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 yrs old. Got them from a rescue as well. How long have you had them? I have found that they do sleep a bit more when new to a home, it helps them cope with the stress of the move. Some ferrets are more laid back and lazy. And ferrets sleep ALOT! My ferngulley is very lazy boy. He will play for a little while but mostly sleeps. My two girls are more playful. Then I have a new boy Clyde that I just got who is way different than any of my others. He is very playful and mischievous, into EVERYTHING!  I expected him to be lazy like the others but is not. I think the more comfortable they become the more personality you will see. But you could have gotten lazy ferrets. If you do exchange them, tell the rescue what kind of personality you want in a ferret. Dont go by just looks. Your personalities need to match. Good luck and best wishes.
Current fuzzies: Ferngulley , Clementine, Clyde , Casper, Rose

Plus: 6 rats, 4 cats, 3 dogs, 2 turtles

Pets4Life101

• Total Posts : 43
Re:Adopted two 3yo ferrets from shelter, and quite honestly they are boring. - Sunday, December 28, 2014 12:18 PM
That indeed does sound strange....I had a similar encounter once when I played with two ferrets at my local Petland; they didn't know what to do and they could hardly play....They wouldn't even interact with each other or me.

I have heard it's usually the sign of some ferrets that come ferret mills. I'm not sure if it's true but to me it sounds plausible. 

It may be low blood sugar, ferrets are prone to this. And when a ferret had low blood sugar they can become lazy and non-alert. 

I also heard some Marshall ferrets can have this trait... I don't know if it is any disease, but I would check this with a vet just in case, for I am not a certified vet. 

In the mean time, make play time more stimulating. Such as filling a box with sand, or hiding treats under little cups, or water to play in. 

I'm sorry you and your ferrets are experiencing this, I would feel very distraught if this happened to me. 

Do not feel bad if you have to take the ferrets back. For you are trying to find a pair of ferrets that works for your life style. 

For the time being I wish you the best of times for you and your ferrets!
<message edited by Pets4Life101 on Sunday, December 28, 2014 12:22 PM>
fuerytes

Re:Adopted two 3yo ferrets from shelter, and quite honestly they are boring. - Sunday, December 28, 2014 12:56 PM
I had them for a few days. According to the rescue owner, they did have a vet checkup recently, so they should be healthy. The male has some hair loss, but she thinks it's just shedding not adrenal disease, so he is getting a melatonin implant soon. It's OK that they sleep a lot - all ferrets do from what I've read - but when they are awake, they are just not very playful. They wake up, poop, sniff around for 10-60 mins (depending on time of day), then go back to sleep. I've tried engaging them as I did with other ferrets I've met, with toys, blankets, hands, etc, and these ferrets just sniff them and walk off. They're sweet and super well-behaved, but just not interested in anything it seems... They were pretty much the same at the shelter, so that's why I don't think they're acting this way because they moved. The only other pair the shelter had was kind of aggressive, so I didn't have much confidence in getting those. I did tell the rescue owner what I was looking for, but I suppose there just weren't many options. She said it's OK if I want to bring them back and try out another pair. I think I want to just return them, though, and try buying a younger ferret. I want to try going through the process of raising, training, and bonding with one from a young age. These older ones are great but it feels like there is no interaction. I was a reptile owner for many years so I am accustomed to more stoic animals, but I wanted a ferret so I'd have something more interactive and playful. I feel bad about wanting to give this pair back though, and now I am under-confident of finding new ones that I will like. :(
unclejoe
Re:Adopted two 3yo ferrets from shelter, and quite honestly they are boring. - Sunday, December 28, 2014 4:56 PM
Member in blocked list
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 155
Re:Adopted two 3yo ferrets from shelter, and quite honestly they are boring. - Monday, December 29, 2014 6:55 AM

Plastic grocery bags are fun for almost all ferrets.  Even the few we've had that didn't play well with others liked bags, and even when they've never seen one before they will go in the bag and usually like being dragged and gently swung around.  A lot of them like those cat fishing poles with a bell on the end.  

I second this.
fuerytes

Re:Adopted two 3yo ferrets from shelter, and quite honestly they are boring. - Monday, December 29, 2014 3:05 PM
It is winter but I am in an area with hot climate year-round (if that makes a difference)(and don't worry, I know they are intolerant of high temperatures, I keep them indoors). I was told the person who surrendered them was a very loving woman. Perhaps they miss their old owner, or the previous owner never actually played with them very much, or they are just too old at this point. I didn't think 3 years was that old, but the vet told me that after as little as 2 years old, some ferrets start to slow down dramatically. I gave them a plastic bag when I first got them and they loved it, and still do. But all they do is crawl around inside it and then go to sleep. It's very cute and they're doing nothing wrong, I just personally expected them to be as playful as other ferrets I've seen. Tried different toys, tried exciting them, engaging them with my hands, etc. They usually just sniff the object/hands and move on. What I really think is strange is how they ignore each other, too. I've seen bonded ferrets before and they stick together a lot, play together, sleep together, sniff/lick each other, etc. With these two, it's like the other doesn't even exist... I suppose these are just very apathetic ferrets, or it may be that it takes another few years for them to bond and come out of their shells. Unfortunately, it doesn't feel like a very rewarding animal for me. At this point, my experience in ferret ownership is less about playing and more about cleaning up poop. I would love to keep them and get a baby kit as well, which would probably be perfect for both them and myself. It could help them become more active again like your Poppy and Alice. However, I don't have the space or the money to keep three (vet bills are my primary concern, as well as my current living situation). I am considering returning them and getting a baby. Or perhaps a ferret isn't the right pet for me at all...
unclejoe
Re:Adopted two 3yo ferrets from shelter, and quite honestly they are boring. - Monday, December 29, 2014 5:35 PM
Member in blocked list
Ellusionz

• Total Posts : 16
Re:Adopted two 3yo ferrets from shelter, and quite honestly they are boring. - Monday, December 29, 2014 11:11 PM
I don't have a ferret yet but just general pet ownership, even if they previous owner said they had a vet check up I would still take them again and explain the symptoms you're seeing? If an owner doesn't specify any problems a vet is only checking what they can see...they won't be able to see how an animal regularly acts at home, which could be a major sign of an issue.

Otherwise if you're of the mindset to get a younger ferret anyways if you're returning these two, why not get a younger one first and see if that could cure the problem like the previous poster suggested? Give the two a chance to change some? And either you'll have 3 playful ferrets or two easy to manage and one playful one? :) Again, not a ferret owner or know of your exact circumstances but would be a good workaround to make all of you happy?
ordinarygirl

• Total Posts : 39
Re:Adopted two 3yo ferrets from shelter, and quite honestly they are boring. - Friday, January 02, 2015 3:50 PM
a 3 year old ferret is NOT old - they play like kittens until they're geriatric which is 6+ unless they're sick

it's definitely odd behavior that you're describing but I hope you'll give them a chance to get used to you and their new surroundings.  some favorite games, toys, play things of mine are plastic shopping bags, tubes, ping pong balls, jingle balls on the end of a string, a pair of jeans/pants to tunnel through, cardboard boxes, and blanket rides.  also a sock on your hand tucked into your sleeve - Daxy loves this game the best lol 

when I first got Daxy he was THE most chill ferret ever - to the point I almost took him to the vet.  Figured out he was terrified of Joey (my other ferret) and when I took Daxy out by himself he FINALLY started dooking and war dancing etc.

Maybe they weren't really a bonded pair - I'd hate to think that the shelter gave false info but maybe they felt like they got along well enough to have them adopted out together.

I would never trust whatever a previous owner said - they all lie lol 

I hope it works out but if it doesn't, definitely bring them back to the shelter and be honest with why so they can try to find a better match in the future for them.

also - regarding getting a kit instead because you were hoping for more active - I've only had one kit and he was VERY needy and then you have to train them for everything including no biting and litter box.  just be prepared for a large commitment if you're thinking about a kit
Momma to
Joseph Francis Tribiani aka Joey Came to his forever home 9/26/2011
Daxter Chandler Muriel Bing aka Daxy Came to his forever home 7/30/2014

Waiting at the Bridge:
Gabby, Rylee, Maya, Roxy Heart, Goofy and Tig
raml

• Total Posts : 100
Re:Adopted two 3yo ferrets from shelter, and quite honestly they are boring. - Friday, January 02, 2015 9:27 PM
I have had 48 ferrets in all over 16 years. Kits are nice but they are also are a lot of work most of my ferrets were bought as kits although I have had about 15 who were rescues. They also like to roam around the first few days since they are getting use to their surroundings. I would never call a ferret boring even the ones you have I really think they need to be stimulated and given a chance to get use to your home. 3 yrs old are not old at all and I have never had any that didn't love to play or at least be played with. Right now I have only ferrets that are older than 3 and they all love playing with me and interacting with me. Even my oldest Pokey will play a bit and loves to cuddle with me. I am not sure what you want the ferrets to do mostly mine react to me if I play with them or they have a friend they play with but I also have one that doesn't like other ferrets and I bring her into my office most days and she climbs around and checks out the office and will play a bit with me but mostly she is curious of her surroundings. My really old ones have died off now and I miss them sometimes calm ferrets are nice to have they use to dook every once in awhile and they still loved being ridden on towels even at 9yrs old. I wish you were near I would take your ferrets in a heartbeat and I bet they would eventually play. If you get a kit remember they will need to be trained and worked with for awhile they don't come perfect anymore than humans do.
TomHeretic

• Total Posts : 46
Re:Adopted two 3yo ferrets from shelter, and quite honestly they are boring. - Friday, January 09, 2015 12:43 PM
IMO, you haven't given them enough time. If you were 6 months in I could understand, but a few days? They are without a doubt still getting used to you, their new surroundings, and quite possibly each other. I don't think their age is an issue at all. My 3 1/2 year old has the same energy and personality as she did when she was 6 weeks old, but I've also had her the entire time no stress or major changes. I bought my youngest, Summer, in September 2013 she was 5 months old at the time. She was very docile, didn't want to play just investigate her surroundings, and she would immediately submit if any of my other 3 tried to play with her. She would let me hold her for LONG stretches without getting squirmy, and it was next to impossible to catch a glimpse of her eating she was very reclusive with her food. Now, she is almost 2. She is the fastest running, most agile jumping and climbing ferret that I have ever seen. She routinely wins the wrestling matches with her brothers who are twice her size, she has a spin move that none of the others have figured out and uses it to reverse position and it always works! She runs and climbs the couches and jumps to any table she can reach everyday. Sometimes she drives me nuts just trying to keep her outta trouble. But the most exciting development in her personality just happened within the last month. She gives me kisses now! All of my other ferrets will give "kisses" aka licks if I hold them up to my face but Summer never did. One morning I stuck my head in their sleeping box to wake them up for breakfast and Summer just starts licking my nose for the first time ever. Now she gives me kisses every morning. It took over a year, and to me it makes it even more special. After all this time I am truly gaining her love and trust. 
kesjames

• Total Posts : 83
Re:Adopted two 3yo ferrets from shelter, and quite honestly they are boring. - Tuesday, January 20, 2015 1:03 PM
My first ferret was very shy and didn't really play hard for the first month or so that I had her. She had had a rough time in her previous home so it took her a while to open up I think.

As the owner of 4 ferrets aged 3-6, they are all pretty hyper except one (not the 6-year-old actually!) who is VERY active when she's up but likes to cuddle and sleep more than the others. Nymphadora (6) and Ozzie (5) both are so exciteable that they will jump off of beds and into walls if I so much as wave my hand. 

Have things gotten any better? Updates? (Sorry for bumping this thread after a week and a half!)

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread