Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferret is lethargic and won't eat
Katyandelsa

• Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
Ferret is lethargic and won't eat - Monday, January 12, 2015 6:50 PM
My ferret cookie got surgery two weeks ago for a foreign body (we rushed her to a emergency vet), and she's very lethargic and won't eat her normal food, she was never very playful and she tends to be sleepy (even before the surgery) but  she barley gets up now, we feed her baby good through a syringe and we took her to her usual vet who gave us different  antibiotics since the one from the emergency vet was  done with. And he gave us recuperation, which is suppose to help with her eating. She also started grinding her teeth. 
(Ps sorry that the story is choppy, if you have questions or advice please share)
Pets4Life101

• Total Posts : 43
Re:Ferret is lethargic and won't eat - Monday, January 12, 2015 7:12 PM
Have you tried Carnivore Care? It helps with situations like this, you can get it through your vet...A recipe is to mix half Carnivore Care and half of a high quality cat food (preferably one with no by-products, dyes, fillers ect.) It is normal for a ferret to have to recover from surgery and I would imagine that a ferret would take longer since they're such tiny things. 

Cookie is grinding her teeth because she is in pain, but it could also be low blood sugar or diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Check the roof of the mouth for ulcers (this may also be a cause for teeth grinding) but I am guessing this from stress and pain. The teeth grinding will stop once she is over the pain from not feeling well.

It does seem odd that your ferret was lethargic before surgery, but it could have been a symptom from the foreign object within her. This happened to our family dog once, he was VERY lethargic and wouldn't eat, which was unusual for our happy eater. Luckily, we got it safely taken care of. And he was still lethargic for about a week or so after the surgery but was soon back to his normal self. 

I'm sorry you have to go through this with a pet, no one enjoys doing so..I hope this info helped! Feel free to send me a message on here if you have any further questions!

<message edited by Pets4Life101 on Monday, January 12, 2015 7:29 PM>
unclejoe
Re:Ferret is lethargic and won't eat - Monday, January 12, 2015 8:15 PM
Member in blocked list
bandit99
Re:Ferret is lethargic and won't eat - Monday, January 12, 2015 8:45 PM
Member in blocked list
Meechysmum92

• Total Posts : 107
Re:Ferret is lethargic and won't eat - Monday, January 12, 2015 9:22 PM
Hey! So sorry about your baby! My boy Meechy had FB surgery last month. It was terrifying how quickly they go downhill, he was fine and then all of a sudden he seemed close to death. Extremely scary! Carnivore care is amazing, no need to mix with food, just the powder and water, and feed via syringe. Did your vet give you morphine for your baby? I found it extremely helpful in keeping Meechys pain down as well as keeping him sedated so he wouldnt get too excited and rip his stitches or wear himself out. 2 weekd seems like a slow recovery but it is dependant on the animal. My boy is quite you g so he bounced back quickly. What was the fpreogn bpdy your ferret ate? Is there a possibility that A. Ther may be some left in the GI tract or B. Your fuzzbutt decided it tasted so good the first time, he decided to swallow some more inedible objects? (They are smart yet dumb at the samr time...ive def heard of ferrets having multiple fb surgery throughout their lifetime) best wishes for your little friend!
Katyandelsa

Re:Ferret is lethargic and won't eat - Tuesday, January 13, 2015 9:03 AM
Thanks to everyone's help, cookie is 4 so adreal disease could be the possible reason for her being lethargic before the surgery were Going to ask the vet if her symptoms check out, she does take pain killers and antibiotics given by the vet. This is my first time ownig a ferret (acually two) they did fully remove the foreign body it's out of her reach.
<message edited by Katyandelsa on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 9:05 AM>
Katyandelsa

Re:Ferret is lethargic and won't eat - Tuesday, January 13, 2015 9:07 AM
She does poop and pee normally, sometimes though she squats and nothing comes out
doobie dink

• Total Posts : 10
Re:Ferret is lethargic and won't eat - Monday, January 19, 2015 12:57 AM
You say that she is grinding her teeth. Have you or the vet considered that she might have an ulcer from all the stress? An ulcer is usually treated with an antibiotic, but several other medications are added. These are Carafate and metronidazole.
Katyandelsa

Re:Ferret is lethargic and won't eat - Monday, January 19, 2015 10:35 AM
Cookie is no longer with us
Meechysmum92

• Total Posts : 107
Re:Ferret is lethargic and won't eat - Tuesday, January 20, 2015 12:09 PM
Oh my gosh....I'm so sorry....DIP cookie...wow. What was the diagnosis? 
Katyandelsa

Re:Ferret is lethargic and won't eat - Tuesday, January 20, 2015 2:38 PM
I don't know she died at home while sleeping, I found out when I checked on her in the morning

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread