Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 my ferret is scared of the cage
rlowman1988

• Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
my ferret is scared of the cage - Thursday, December 11, 2014 2:00 PM
I was giving a ferret that was in its cage and it was abused by its previous owner she never bites is very lovable however when I put her in her cage at night she freaks out and fights as in trying to run away from it she's out 12 hours a day as I work from home so I know she's not bored she's just terrified of the cage but other than that she's 6 months old and very playful and lovable and loves to be held
Pets4Life101

• Total Posts : 43
Re:my ferret is scared of the cage - Thursday, December 11, 2014 2:55 PM
Perhaps she is protesting. Since she gets 12 hours a day out from the cage; I do believe she loves being out of the cage, better than being in the in cage! Or it could be she has had some bad memories in that cage...Did her last owner stick her in that cage for long periods of time? She could be worried that might happen to her again.

But the cage could just be scary all together, put some of her favorite (very durable) toys, and an old tee of yours that has your scent. A fun toy, and a memorable comforting smell should take her mind off from the displeasing aspects of her cage.

You could also get another ferret (the more the merrier!) so she can have a buddy to keep her company. But make sure it is a male, two females tend to not get along very well. 

I hope this helps!

p.s.  First, see if you can clean the cage...And when I say clean, I mean major cleaning! If you can, get the cage outside and clean it off with a hose, let it dry out in the sun, and afterwards, use pet friendly ferret cage cleaning  spray. This may clean off any kinds of scents associated with the abusive owner.  If not, get her another cage all together...It will be expensive, and it takes away from the "cage comes with ferret deal" but taken that she was abused by her previous owner must not leave any kind of good memories within her sweet head. And possibly, most of these past events might have taken place in her cage. 

P.P.S I am so sorry to your ferret was abused! My prayers are with her to have an amazing recovery! I am glad she has someone as awesome as you as her new owner. :)
rlowman1988

Re:my ferret is scared of the cage - Thursday, December 11, 2014 3:04 PM
It is a small cage but its a new one she didn't come with her old one I'm working on building her something though a refrigerator box with holes cut in in instead of a cage and I ordered alot of 6 inch clear plastic tubing and I gonna make her a tunnel around the bottom of the walls all around the main areas of the house including my office and in the box there will be multiple layers with all kinds of toys and a male ferret won't hurt either
unclejoe
Re:my ferret is scared of the cage - Thursday, December 11, 2014 4:54 PM
Member in blocked list
rlowman1988

Re:my ferret is scared of the cage - Sunday, December 14, 2014 3:31 PM
I got her a 4 story ferret nation cage and she loves this one acording to petco she's between 6 to 8 months old
unclejoe
Re:my ferret is scared of the cage - Sunday, December 14, 2014 5:49 PM
Member in blocked list
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:my ferret is scared of the cage - Sunday, December 14, 2014 6:10 PM
Great new cage!

If she still has trouble maybe stick an old T-shirt that you wore for a while in there so she smells you and feels comfy?

OR FERRET MATH AND ITS TIME FOR A FRIEND. ;)
rlowman1988

Re:my ferret is scared of the cage - Tuesday, December 16, 2014 12:19 PM
Yup I'm gonna buy a "stud" ferret for her friday

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages