Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Simon, the foam and sock eater.
simonsparents

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
Simon, the foam and sock eater. - Saturday, December 13, 2014 1:16 PM
Brian and I have found that Simon, the 10 week old kit, enjoys to munch on socks a couple days ago. Our vet is out of town until Tuesday and did not seem concerned about it - He just told us Metamucil and oils will help it pass. We no longer see the aforementioned socks in his stool anymore, but we want to make sure we help it move completely out of his system. He seems to always target fabric items in his play area and NOW he likes to dig in his hidey hole turtle and eat the foam in the bottom of that.

Basically, our question, as new baby ferret owners, is what can we do to help the things he has eaten pass easily? Also, could this be a sign of potential boredom if he is chewing on the bottom of his turtle home? He has played in it and slept in it just fine up until yesterday - I noticed the turtle had missing foam pieces from the bottom and I found extra pieces scattered in his cage.

Anyway, we are new to this forum and to ferret parenting and we are looking forward to hearing from all of you!

Thank you!
Brian and Tabitha 
unclejoe
Re:Simon, the foam and sock eater. - Saturday, December 13, 2014 2:04 PM
Member in blocked list
ROCKYS

• Total Posts : 11
Re:Simon, the foam and sock eater. - Saturday, December 13, 2014 2:41 PM
I can highly recommend a product called "Poopin Pumpkin". Its a powdered product mixed with warm water and is six times more effective than canned pureed pumpkin. It has other ingredients that stimulate intestinal motility and emulsifies fat binders that create furballs and make obstructions such as cloth tight and hardened. Its my creation, and it was tested on over 300 ferrets in my shelter over a couple years. I can tell you with all certainty that this is highly effective, and economical. You can read more by visiting the Poopin Pumpkin page on Facebook. This month there are also some great money saving offers! Place your orders here. http://rockyscreaturecomforts.ecrater.com/ Sincerely, Barb Clay
Dir of Shelter Affairs for Rocky's
Parkton, Md.
www.rockysferrets.com
TomHeretic

• Total Posts : 46
Re:Simon, the foam and sock eater. - Saturday, December 13, 2014 3:18 PM
It could be a sign of boredom, I'm guessing Simon is an only ferret? I've had babies that young but they were always part of a group. I have 4 now and all of them stash things and tear up fabric and carpet on occasion, but never eat it. My oldest female loves socks too and uses them to make nests under the couch! Does Simon get a lot of time out of his cage? If you do decide to give him pumpkin his poop should be a bit larger than normal and very orange, it should push any foam bits out. I've given it any time I thought one of mine may have eaten something bad. 
Meechysmum92

• Total Posts : 107
Re:Simon, the foam and sock eater. - Saturday, December 13, 2014 4:40 PM
Honestly, take the turtle away. Meechy is a few months old and he still eats random things. I roginally had the alligator, which he ate, and then got stuck in the lining. Then I called Marshalls and they sent  me a new one (the turtle) which he was fine with for a month, until recently I found he was starting to chew that too. Take the toy away until yoi can be sure he isnt going to eat it. Better to be preventative, than to have to have 1200$ surgery because he gets a blockage (my boy just had surgey for eating a dog toy)
wenmister
Re:Simon, the foam and sock eater. - Saturday, December 13, 2014 5:52 PM
Member in blocked list
wenmister
Re:Simon, the foam and sock eater. - Saturday, December 13, 2014 5:56 PM
Member in blocked list
simonsparents

• Total Posts : 3
Re:Simon, the foam and sock eater. - Saturday, December 13, 2014 11:10 PM
Thank you everyone for your valuable advice!

He is an only ferret, BUT he has four dog playmates that he LOVES to romp around and wrestle with. He has plenty of time outside of his cage, as we have made a "ferret-proof" section of the house. Anytime we are home, which is a lot of the time, we have him out with us. We will definitely be trying the pumpkin tonight and the chicken wings soon! However, he is losing a couple of his bottom teeth as we speak, do you think chicken wings are still okay for his little boy teeth or shall we wait until he gets a little older?

I am so happy to read your notes about the alligator, that is what we were looking to purchase next. We will avoid all foamy / socky products for now.

Thank you again!
Brian and Tabitha
wenmister
Re:Simon, the foam and sock eater. - Sunday, December 14, 2014 8:16 AM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages