Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Go to vet or not to go to the vet?
AmeilaJo

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
Go to vet or not to go to the vet? - Sunday, November 16, 2014 3:47 PM
I am not sure if i'm just being an overly concerned parent or not and need some opinions. 

My one fuzzie seems to be "coughing"? I'm not sure how concerned I should be? She seems to be coughing enough that I noticed..or maybe now I'm just listening for it? At any rate she just turned one year old last month. She seems to be in great health otherwise and is alert, active and eating as usual. All the poop I see in the litter box looks normal and brown. She did throw up food 4 days ago but hasn't thrown up again since.  

Also poor girl managed to singe her whiskers on a candle I had on my desk. I thought she couldn't get on my desk and I turned my back for one second...needless to say no more candles. I was wondering if this could be contributing to her coughing?   

I thought maybe it was dust so I just recently swept and swifter mopped the floor. I am also wondering if maybe my perfume is irritating her as well? Any thoughts? Could she have the flu??

Thank you!!!

<message edited by AmeilaJo on Sunday, November 16, 2014 3:49 PM>
Pets4Life101

• Total Posts : 43
Re:Go to vet or not to go to the vet? - Sunday, November 16, 2014 4:19 PM
Ferret coughing can be common, due to the ferret being so low to the floor. You probably see your ferret sniff around often; and while doing so, they sniff up dust debris ect, or it could be due to getting a small piece of kibble stuck in their throat. However, if is is CONSTANT take your ferret to a vet because it may be a sign of a severe illness.

Ferrets have a very sensitive respiratory system. So be careful and use safe and organic cleaning products around them (like their cage cleaning products) and do not use candles with essential oils in their area. Ferrets cannot break down the properties that occur in EO, and it can kill them if eaten. But (and not trying to mean offense of any kind) it could be your perfume...As I have stated above, ferrets have a very sensitive respiratory system. So anything that "could" be toxic that they could "possibly" snuff up, shouldn't be a chance to take.

That bit of info may have been more than you were looking for, but I meant it as a extra precaution. Because today, I learned about the toxic properties of essential oils...And I had always thought of them as safe.  

There are many reasons why a ferret vomits, so you should look it up on the internet. I tried to give you the link, but it wouldn't paste. Look up "Ferret World youtube" Stephanie is VERY helpful and awesome. She has a video about "why a ferret vomits". 

I suggest getting the "Ferrets for Dummies" book. It has helped me answer this question of yours, and many questions of mine. Also, check out many forums for common info! Because it may save vet bills later down the road...

I hoped this helped! :)

<message edited by Pets4Life101 on Sunday, November 16, 2014 4:33 PM>
raml

• Total Posts : 100
Re:Go to vet or not to go to the vet? - Sunday, November 16, 2014 8:37 PM
Long time coughing could mean heart disease. My Patty coughed a lot finally took her to the vet and she had an enlarged heart. Cardiomyopathy is the medical name and I got medication and she lived to be 6yrs old she was a very active ferret you would have never known she had ever had a sick day in her life. I can say one thing for this disease when Patty died it was quick and not prolonged like some of the cancers ferrets can get.
unclejoe
Re:Go to vet or not to go to the vet? - Sunday, November 16, 2014 9:07 PM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages